2016 Rhizome time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanDe680

Reaction score
It's just about that time to think about what to do/order/plant in 2016.

Unfortunately, I have to start over with growing my hops as we moved to a new home. New home good, new hops bad.

That being said, what is everyone going to be getting to grow for 2016?

Me thinks that Centennial and Northern are at the top of my list.

Where are you guys buying from?

I planted two Hallertau and one Magnum this past fall.

I bought the plants from Great Lakes Hops. You could try planting those instead of rhizomes. The plants they send have already went through one growing season. I'll be curious how well they do this first year for me. I'm thinking they are going to do better than a rhizome.

When I planted rhizomes I bought those from Freshops.

I am going to try growing hops for the first time. I haven't had any place to put them in the past. I still don't have my own space for them, but they'll be going in the community garden at our church.

I am planning on going through Great Lakes Hops as well to get the plants instead of the rhizomes. And they don't do pre-orders. From what I've read, they just ship them whenever you order, because they are growing year-round to supply commercial farms. So, I haven't decided what varietal to try. I'll probably go with 2 or 3 different varietals. That way if one doesn't grow well in my area/soil, I'll have 2 others that might do better. Also, that way I'll have different types of hops for different beer styles.

Getting plants instead of rhizomes is one benefit to ordering from Great Lakes. Another is their selection. None of the other websites I've seen have anywhere close to the selection that Great Lakes offers.

I recommend getting the field grade plants or crowns from Great Lakes Hops. You will have better results with the right care with the crown than a rhizome. Not that any other retailer has sub-par hops, it just makes sense to me to have a pre-established plant and being able to yield some hops in your first year.

As far as variety advice, it is best to know what styles you like and buy your plants based on what you'd use. For example, I love my IPAs, so I both Cascade, Chinook, and Zeus. I also have nugget because it can be subbed out for just about anything. My English ales, German beers, basically anything that isn't an IPA or Pale Ale gets nugget, and I like my results. Look at your favorite styles, research the varieties, and choose your hops based on what you would use.

It's just about that time to think about what to do/order/plant in 2016.

Unfortunately, I have to start over with growing my hops as we moved to a new home. New home good, new hops bad.

That being said, what is everyone going to be getting to grow for 2016?

Me thinks that Centennial and Northern are at the top of my list.

Where are you guys buying from?

That sounds like the tops!

Centennial and Fuggles for sure. I already have a well established EKG on the go.

Latest posts

Back