2015 Hop Harvest Totals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.9oz Cascade dried

= 1202.62

(not bad, 75.16 pounds so far)

Hops01.jpg

10.30 oz dried Galena
2.25 oz dried Chinook
1.15 oz dried Cascade

13.7 oz total + 1202.62 oz = 1216.32 oz

11-KH4V8035_DxO.jpg

Well, after my new landlord came over and cut down the majority of my plant last weekend I was able to salvage 0.7oz of dried Cascades.

Quite the disappointment but some is better than none.

After 7 hours of stripping cones and four days in the oast, this mass turned into 49 dried ounces of Cascade...
cascades_harvest_2015.jpg

...and along with the Centennial and Chinook, my hop freezer is full again...

hops_20sep2015.jpg

1,268.42 oz + 49 = 1317.42

Cheers!

Trip=hop gestapo. But he's right, dry weight only.

On another note, we're way over last year's total. By 365.42 oz, or 22+ lbs. Way to not only break last year's total, but impressively surpass it. We'll done, gents!

I have a feeling there is still more to come.

Um...if that's the whole 36.01 ounces, that's wet weight.

We're counting dry ounces here...

Cheers!

the photo is wet but the total is based on dry. i filled that same bin three times, needed six rounds or so worth of food dehydrator to dry them all.

photos of fresh hops look cooler than dry.:ban:

this was my first year harvesting hops and i was bagging them using an old, crappy kitchen scale. i had no faith in the accuracy of the thing so before labeling, i bought a new digital scale with +/- 1 gram accuracy. scale showed up this afternoon, that's why i couldn't post my totals until today.:)

Since I've had so many problems getting cones worth a damn (see my other threads here), I was picky and only harvested cones that were of a decent size or had no visible flaws.

Hence, a little less than last year but since the bastards are such a PITY to harvest (alone) I was glad to make shorter work of it.

25 ounces of Centennial, 18.5 of Cascade.

1,353.43+25+18.5=1396.93

Just packaged and weighed:

28 ounces of cascade
28 ounces of nugget
11 ounces of centennial
19 ounces of chinook (all dry weights)

So 1444.93 + 86 = 1530.93

Just packaged the last of the Columbus this evening. Total for the year looks to be 36 ozs Columbus, 8 ozs Willamette, 7 ozs Chinook, 5.5 ozs centennial and 4.5 cascade.

61 + 1537.93 =1598.93.

I picked the cones off of my Cascade first year plant. I planted it relatively late, but it grew about 12'-14' high, and I got a fair number of cones from it considering I was planning on nothing this first year. I hope to split it up and have several plants running up an 18' high trellis next year.

1598.93 + 2.0 = 1600.93

Well, that likely does it for 2015. That's just over 100 lbs of dried hops this year! Well done HBTers!

I didn't add my measly 2.5 ozs off 3 plants (first year plants). The 4 th one gave me nothing.

1600.93 +2.5 = 1603.43

Not making any real difference to the roll-up.

When I add up the cost of the rhizomes, fertilizer, and basic support (and I didn't spend much), it works out somewhere around $150 a pound. Dam expensive hops - lots of fun. Maybe next year they will start to give me a return.

Damn. Someone likes Pales/IPAs a lot.

Are you the leader for single grower highest total?

Stop, you'll make me blush. (I'm betting a few of the other hobby yard owners just didn't put their totals up) And yes, I do like IPAs, I'm brewing one right now with exclusively my hops :mug:

Well, all mine are still on the vine.

My Chinook and Magnums, two of each, did very well and were covered in cones. My Fuggles did OK, and my Goldings did poorly, I suspect some damage from some weed sprayed mulch that was tilled in to the garden plot.

Timing, with me being away traveling, and rain when I was home, resulted in a dead loss, except that I have eight bines in the round waiting for a better next year!

These were all essentially first year plants. They went in late last year, and really did not get going enough to produce, until this year.

Am looking forward to next years efforts, as I also have 150 pounds of two row seed barley to go in.

TeeJo

Late to this, sorry

Six plants (two each), all first year:
-13.60 oz Columbus
-4.75 oz Centennial
-0 oz Willamette

TOTAL: 18.35 oz

Back