2015 : Anyone have their hops growing yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A first year plant doesn't have the root system to support an extensive set of bines, imo. I wouldn't train more than four, and frankly that's probably pushing it...

Cheers!

we are trying our hands at Brewer's Gold, Cascades, Chinook, Magnum, and Nugget this year...keeping them in alphabetical order (physically) to make it easier!

IMG_0738[1].jpg

IMG_0740[1].jpg

IMG_0741[1].jpg

IMG_0742[1].jpg

IMG_0739[2].jpg

Day_trippr:

Thanks! That makes sense, I will do the deed and chop off the young.

Tom

I think mine have decided to stop growing. I haven't been measuring them but they just don't seem to be getting any taller.

Mine have done the same thing. So I added a little organic fish /seaweed 2-3-1 fertilizer to them, haven't really noticed if that helped either.

We have had some rain and consistent temps here lately and the ones I thought stopped growing have grown. The one that too off early got a little burned so I picked off the brown top and it's been staggered. I'm thinking the crops have more root growth going on than top growth since they're first year. They were free so I'm not TOO worried this year.

My larger potted plant is looking a lot happier with bigger leaves and standing almost a foot tall. The small pot certainly needs a transplat. I've trimmed both so they can focus all energy into two bines that I'll train up. I'll be placing both in larger pots and moving them a top my car port and string up twine to the rain gutter of my house roof. That will give them over 8ft of vert for first year. Next year I'll build a pergola which will need to be fenced off from deer. ---- I guess if I need more than 8ft I could just let them train up at a 45 degree angle. Found too many deer droppings mowing the lawn today to risk these being boxed into the ground without proper fencing.

Mine have done the same thing. So I added a little organic fish /seaweed 2-3-1 fertilizer to them, haven't really noticed if that helped either.

Organic fertilizers will need time to break down. These are not the cooked up chemical fertilizers designed to break down overnight.

What you will notice more about correct fertilizing is that the leaves will grow more vigorous. Last year I fertilized too long and mostly got bine and leaves, it wasn't until I stopped fertilizing once a month that I started to get hop cone shoots.

Sunbeam at my mother's house. It's taking over the fence, two bushes and eventually a tree. One bine is nearly 9 feet in total growth even though it curves around and dips and dives. Probably a bull, but she's letting all of it grow. She wants a full on hops fence. There's also a rhizome of Willamette struggling along in the back. We'll see how she does.

View attachment 277423View attachment 277424View attachment 277425

I use Sunbeams for shade on my back deck and second story balcony....they grow about 20 feet tall....very pretty with the bright yellow leaves.
:ban:

Just put my Cascades into 5 Gallon pots. One was ready to train. The other needs more time. First year plants. My first time growing. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433306283.923303.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433306295.800180.jpg Gave them both some vegitable fert today for the first time with the transplant. Lets see what happens now. We have a nasty deer problem in my neighbourhood so these are on top of my car port now and will have about 8ft of vertical to climb. I'll have to get creative for next season.

These are mostly cascade divided from 3 plants I grew in 5 gallon buckets last year.

Several of the bines are over the top of the trellis this week.
Not bad for north Idaho and early June.
Hope they fill out with vegetative growth til summer solstice and then make nice cones.

DSC_7364.jpg

DSC_7365.jpg

DSC_7366.jpg

DSC_7367.jpg

DSC_7368.jpg

DSC_7369.jpg

DSC_7370.jpg

DSC_7371.jpg

DSC_7372.jpg

DSC_7397.jpg

My Centennials on the fence have cones nearing harvest.

007.jpg

Is this normal for a 2nd year Centennial?
The other hop cultivars are nowhere close. (although the Glacier is budding)

'da Kid

My Centennials on the fence have cones nearing harvest.

View attachment 284484

Is this normal for a 2nd year Centennial?
The other hop cultivars are nowhere close. (although the Glacier is budding)

'da Kid

I have Chinook and Cascade cones getting papery, but Columbus just starting cones. It does seem early but my climate is probably not comparable to most.

This is the first time I've grown hops so I'm still a novice. My Chinook plant is up over the top of my growing wire. What should I do now?? Should I start it back down?

HELP!!

IMG_0066.JPG

Latest posts

Back