200 liters system Chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodrigoEick

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm building an 200 liters (53 gallons) brewing system, gas heating, and now I dont know which way to go for the chilling.

I live in China, so things are cheaper here.

So far I thougth in 2 options:

Buy 2 counterflow chillers. Since the tap water here is now around 85, I thought to hook them up in series, so the wort out of the first one go in the wort in of the sencond chiller. The first one I would use city water, and the second super cold water/alcohol mix to bring the wort to 18C.

Put some cash in and buy a 2 stage plate chiller, the same one used in the pro breweries. This also will run on city water + water/alcohol or water/glycol mix. But that will limit my $ options for the fermenters.

I'm not considering an imersion chiller. Or shoud I?

If anyone could give some advices, I would be appreciated.

As soon as I start buying the equipment, I will make a tread documenting the building of the brewhouse.

Thanks and brew on! :rockin:

I don't have a lot of experience with what you want to make, but i would like to see the build thread.
I don't think an imersion chiller will do the job, at least it will need to be a very big one.
Do you plan to sell beer or drink it all? :)
Good luck with your project, and don't forget to post all the steps of the build, maybe i will try it someday.

Immersion chiller is from many points an open portal for contamination. Especially here in the South of China where the air is so rich in everything microbiotic.
I would say, get yourself a good CFC - for your volume it should be something like 30 m coil, or I'd personally make it like 2 coils 25 m each in serial, but this will only chill your wort to the temperature of tap water. Then you will need a tub or two of really really icy water with lumps of ice and a few copper coils in serial. Alternatively, you can get a fish tank chiller running on glycole alcohol, they use it in seafood restaurants. That would send you back by anything between 1200 and 5000 yuan. This you will also be able to use as ferm chiller. Lots of that on Taobao.

Chlr.jpg

Why not run one huge cfc on tap water, recirculating back into the kettle as a whirlpool for a while, then flow ice solution through it as you transfer into the fermenter.
You could pump o2 into it the entire/most of the time as well....

Back