20 .lb of 15L and 1 .lb of 200L VS. 21 .lb of 20L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O-Ale-Yeah

Reaction score
With 20 pounds of Munich malt at 15 levibond plus 1 pound of chocolate barley malt at 200 levibond creating a brew with an SRM of 25, would I have more roasted/burnt/biscuit/toasted flavor than using 25 pounds of Munich at a 20 levibond creating the same SRM of 25?

In other words, will using a bit of highly toasted grain mixed with less toasted grain to get to my SRM goal cause a burnt flavor?

Should I instead just use (100% 20L) versus (95% 15L plus 5% 200L) to get to that SRM goal to avoid extra toasted, burnt flavors?

Last edited:
Who are you brewing this beer for? A room full of self-anointed homebrew gurus who will insist that they can tell what the unicorn in the next county that farted upwind of your mash had for breakfast, or yourself and your similarly unsophisticated friends?

I’d brew a couple different small, test batches using the different grists to decide what I liked best, and then come back here and ask the peanut gallery to comment.

Who are you brewing this beer for? A room full of ......

I don't think I asked that very well. Let me try again.

Which might have burnt flavor (20 .lbs of 15L + 1 .lb of 200l) or (25 .lb of 20L)?

the munich will be caramel, roast will be roast...at least that's been my experience, color could be the same...(my munich was homemade though, your mileage may vary)

The munich+chocolate malt combination is going to taste different from using all munich malt and some of the flavor of the chocolate malt would come through if that is what you are asking.

I don't think chocolate malt tastes burnt but it definitely carries deeper roast flavors than munich. If you don't want those flavors in your beer then just use all munich.

With 20 pounds of Munich malt at 15 levibond plus 1 pound of chocolate barley malt at 200 levibond creating a brew with an SRM of 25, would I have more roasted/burnt/biscuit/toasted flavor than using 25 pounds of Munich at a 20 levibond creating the same SRM of 25?

In other words, will using a bit of highly toasted grain mixed with less toasted grain to get to my SRM goal cause a burnt flavor?

Should I instead just use (100% 20L) versus (95% 15L plus 5% 200L) to get to that SRM goal to avoid extra toasted, burnt flavors?
A roast flavor and a burnt flavor are quite different things. Using chocolate malt should not give you any burnt flavor, providing it is not overdone or not done correctly.

Adding chocolate to get to a particular color is not really the best way to approach SRM.

Back