What do I need for a pin lock keg system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerbarth

Reaction score
I am purchasing my first 5 gallon pin lock keg. Are there any other items required to make keg system operate. Do I need to purchase a tap?

So this picnic plus the purchased keg and I'll be good? No co2 needed to pressurize keg?

Off the top of my head, this is a bare minimum:
co2 tank (5, 10, 20 lb) $50
co2 regulator $40
co2 gas hose $5
gas pinlock disconnect $8
liquid pinlock disconnect $8
liquid hose $7
liquid faucet $5
hose clamps $5

optionals:
O-rings $5
swivel nuts (need to match your disconnects) $10

This should allow you to carbonate and dispense a beverage using forced co2 carbonation (as opposed to conditioned carbonation like in a bottle). Something like $130 for the minimum needed depending on the prices you can find for yourself.

But if I am going to carbonate beer with priming sugar before kegging do I need co2 setup?

I have seen small co2 cartridges used for pushing beer from a carbonated keg.....
see here: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/couplers/homebrew/cornelius_home_brew_keg_co2_charger.shtml

Don't be fooled that this tiny 16gram canister will carbonate your beer - it won't. You would just want to use this to push your already carbonated beer out of the keg.

EDIT: Almost forgot but you will need to seat your lid using pressure as well - hopefully this canister can do that. If this canister can't get the lid sealed then all your conditioning carbonation will vent out the lid. Also, you will want to purge any o2 from your keg which will mean pushing co2, release the pressure from the post, and repeating a few times. After considering this, my opinion is to spend your money on a co2 canister and regulator because it will serve you much better in the long run.

But if I am going to carbonate beer with priming sugar before kegging do I need co2 setup?

Sounds like you need a good primer on kegging homebrew. I would explain the basics myself but it might just be easier (and a much shorter post on my part) if you go check out this site from Beersmith. I think it does a decent job of explaining the basics.

http://beersmith.com/kegging/

By the way, I love kegging over bottling and I don't think you will regret making the switch! Good luck! :mug:

It's true. Once you start kegging you likely won't look back. Soo much easier! On the other hand, there is some time and money investment on the front end. No good way around that. However I did see some ads on HBT for fairly inexpensive CO2 tanks. If you have a local beer distributor you may be able to get a used regulator, shafts taps etc. for pretty cheap. Especially if you "know a guy..."

I just went to local supplier today. $250 for the entire setup. My fiancé would kill me if I spent that kinda money already (especially since this is my first brew). I have the bottles, I just think kegging would be easier and less of a hassle. So instead of leaving shop with a keg setup I left with more supplies to brew another beer. The trip was not wasted. Thanks for feedback

Back