New Activity in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbax

Reaction score
I brewed this Brewers Best Milk Stout on March 24, and racked it to secondary on April 10. It had around two days of heavy activity in the primary with a nice 2 nice krausen on it, then dropped. I let it sit to make sure that it was slowing down for ten days or so before racking it over to the secondary. I then put it in the dark in my office with the intention of bottling it on or around April 24. Well, suffice to say I got busy (I am a middle school teacher, btw) and it has been in the dark ever since. I've been checking on it every 2-3 days, and it has always had a nice flat glassy surface with maybe 2-3 floating patches of white foam no larger than a dime. Well, today when I went to check on it, all of a sudden I had a big foamy layer building on it again. What gives? Is this normal? The temperature and everything has stayed at a constant as far as I can tell.

image-2372162064.jpg

From the pic it looks normal. Sometimes pressure changes make the co2 rise out of solution. Chance you've had storms roll in or out lately?
Did your airlock ever go dry at all?

Just off-gassing. Pressure could change it as KWB said or temp changes. Either way it is just fine. Bottle when you're ready.

Latest posts

Back