Checked Honey Nut Brown Ale after 7 days bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamwhatiseem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...gotta love this site.
Using information from here my second brew is clearly better than my first which was pretty good itself.
What I did different:

1) Steeped the specialty grains at the get go rather than waiting till the water is heated up, which after 20 minutes the water was at 150 already.
2) Did not secondary, rather primary 3 1/2 weeks (intended 4 weeks, but had something to do on that weekend so went ahead 2 days "early" only a 1050 OG so...
4) Did not make the early mistake of allowing fermentation temp to get too warm. Blame that on the NB brew sheet.
3) Slightly increased the priming sugar after several folks told me a better mixture ratio.

After just 7 days in bottles - carbing is already into the liquid. Sustains about a 1/4" head after a semi-aggressive pour with bubbles rising to support head.
Smell - young. A little funky.
Taste - definitely immature as would expect. A little funky, a bite at the end...but I can already tell what it will be like.
My first beer was very fruity and a significant sharp bite at the end this early.

Good deal...I can tell this one is going to be better...now about that IPA just coming out of active fermentation...:rockin:

14 days and it is coming along very well.
The young/green flavors are gone. It is not quite balanced yet, but even as it sits it is a decent beer, had one with dinner.
I am going to let this continue to condition at lest another week then pop half of them in the fridge for 3-4 days and have at it.
Meanwhile my Chinook IPA will get dry-hopped in another week, and bottled.
Next - another round of Caribou Slobber.

Back