2 Beers/1 Freezer - Temp controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHAFER

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm fairly new to the brewing scene, and am hoping to start brewing two types of beers in the same chest freezer I just purchased. I'm hoping that I can setup a dual temp controller, with a fermpad/thermowell on one carboy, to brew a lager and an ale at the same time. I've seen a few people explain that they've done it, but nobody has written exactly how. I have a 8 cu. ft chest freezer, and am wondering what temp control to purchase. It's already cold out here in San Francisco....so I'm more worried about keeping the temp up on the higher temp fermenting beer.

HELP!

You don't need to do this. How often are you going to need this capability? You've got plenty to learn as a noob without fretting over details like this. I think you'll be happier turning that into a kegerator.

I appreciate your honesty. :) It's just hard getting a consistent temp that works in San Francisco.....especially when my house is freezing 95% of the time. I think the freezer will help with the consistency....as well has having the ferm wrap. The lack of space in our apartment forces me to ferment in a storage closet downstairs....which gets mighty cold as well. I'm struggling more to get to Ale temps. Lagering is easy for me. :)

NHAFER said:
I appreciate your honesty. :) It's just hard getting a consistent temp that works in San Francisco.....especially when my house is freezing 95% of the time. I think the freezer will help with the consistency....as well has having the ferm wrap. The lack of space in our apartment forces me to ferment in a storage closet downstairs....which gets mighty cold as well. I'm struggling more to get to Ale temps. Lagering is easy for me. :)

I would say that as a beginner getting a handle on ferm temps is more important than any kind of keg equipment keezer or whatever.

Wrap a rope light around it (friend up in Wisconsin) on a e-bay temp controller uses green on his Glass carboy can hold mid 60's in his garage covered with a box made of foam insulation over the top.

How cold can it really be? I doubt I wouldn't own a winter coat if I lived in San Francisco.

Try this. Buy a floating fish tank thermometer and stick it in a glass of water. You can get them for a couple of bucks at any pet supply store. Walmart probably has them too. Put the glass where you're going to ferment and check the temp over a few days. You'll be surprised how consistent it is.

I am not suggesting you do this but here is a place to start...

You'll need two temp controllers to monitor 2 temps. One could be the freezer's thermostat. You can adjust it to control warmer temperatures. Set the freezer to your cold fermentor and then use a temp controller to turn on a heater for the warmer fermentor. There's lots of things you can use a heater: light bulbs, heating pads, reptile heaters. The thing is, if it's too cold for ales you don't need to put this into a colder freezer before you heat it.

See this thread about adjusting your freezer thermostat.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

I don't understand how anyone can recommend you need to be able to control 2 different fermentation temps to a new brewer.

Back