1st year rhizomes: ok to dig up?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aram

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I just received my hops from Crosby Hops and I'm going to plant them in pots tomorrow until they're ready to go outside in my raised beds. But here's my dilemma:

I'm moving in September and I would like to take the rhizomes with me. I'd rather plant them now and dig them back out in September as opposed to keeping them in the fridge for 4 months. I realize that September is way too early and the plants will still be in production at that point.

So I guess I would like to know if it would be OK to just trim the vines and dig up the rhizomes?

I'm open to any tips/advice!
Thanks!

some varieties are ready by september. so you might be able to harvest and then move. also If it's a first year plant grown from a rhizome you won't get much production anyhow. I would go ahead and plant them and let them grow all season. If there's something to pick at in september then pick them as late as you can then dig them up. that way you'll have one growing season on the plants so next year they'll produce better. I had the same issue last year

I would just write off any type of a harvest this year and be concerned about getting them moved at the end of the season. You'll be fine moving them in Sept. as they'll be shutting down at that time and will have a bunch of food reserves stored in the crown by then, plus, you'll be able to witness what has happened over the course of one growing season. Also, by moving them at that time will give the roots a month or two to develop in the new location before the soil cools down. Next Spring they'll take right off. Happy growing

Thanks for all the input guys!

Unfortunately moving and taking the pot along with me is not an option as I'll be traveling by plane. And my whole purpose for this season is to keep the rhizome alive and not really looking to harvest hops. Anyway, my only option is to dig up the rhizome from the pot and take it with me in a ziploc bag.

A couple other questions:

How far down should I chop the vine? All the way down to the soil or should I leave a few inches of what remains of the vine?

I'm assuming trimming some of the new roots shouldn't really be a problem either.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm fairly new at this!

Back