1st year questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie

Reaction score
So growing hops this year was kinda last minute (got two cascades for $2.50) and they were planted way late (1st week of June). Right now one of my bines is growing 2-3 inches a day. It's looking like they will outgrow my temporary rigging somewhat soon. While I'm still working on my permanent solution I have a few questions:
1.How long do first year bines normally get?
2. Is it worth using fertilizer for the first year?
3. If yes, are there any fertilizers that are better for developing roots?

Even with planting in June you will still get tremendous growth from your hops. In the first year you can get bines going all the way to the top of the trellis and a lot of that has to do with nutrients. I am way north of you and our climate up here is even sufficient for hops planted in June to go 16' plus before the end of the growing season. Go ahead and fertilize this year. You are really trying to get things established and no better way in doing that than getting as much growth as possible and nutrients are a huge part of that equation. As far as fertilizers go you can't go wrong with a well rounded 10-10-10.

Back