1st year grower, bonehead mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkalberer

Reaction score
I've got three 1st year cascades that are growing nicely. The problem is that I didn't do my research and cut back all but one bine per plant. all three are about 6' tall now, and I know the root system is not growing as it should with only one bine. I know that I won't get a crop this year, so would it be good to clip the tops of these bines and hope more will shoot up? Will that work?

I'm pretty sure adding another shock to your plants isn't in their best interest.
Handle the watering and feeding and leave the growing to your plants...

Cheers!

I've got three 1st year cascades that are growing nicely. The problem is that I didn't do my research and cut back all but one bine per plant. all three are about 6' tall now, and I know the root system is not growing as it should with only one bine. I know that I won't get a crop this year, so would it be good to clip the tops of these bines and hope more will shoot up? Will that work?

Let it grow. Let it grow. Don't trim it back any more. Let it grow. Let it grow. More growth is what's in store. I don't care what they're going to say. The bine never bothered you anyway.

In all seriousness, root development will surprise you. As long as it is growing, its green, and its healthy, your roots are growing just fine. Water and fertilize like day_trippr said and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the reply. I've noticed in the last few days that the growth is starting to get faster. The secondary shoots from the leaves are starting to develop. What is the average height of an established cascade at this point in the summer?

It's all really variable with first year situations. I've had rhizomes put out tremendous growth (20 feet) and others that only do half that. When you see that kind of thing, your instinct tells you that something's wrong. Next year comes around and they pretty much even out. Some are just a little shy in the first year I guess. And you'll be really impressed at what will happen over the next few months with yours.

Thanks guys. One of the plants got hit with a weed whacker a few weeks ago while I was away, another shoot came up and it's almost caught up to the height of the others. These plants are amazing to tend. What kind of fertilizers would you recommend? Composting is not an option for me at this time.

My area in the midwest is getting hit by a big storm right now, with a tornado warning and possibility of golfball sized hail. I hope those plants make it through.

Back