1st year centennial leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikitz

Reaction score
Hi all,

Started a centennial rhizome inside a while back and planted it outside about 3 weeks ago. The lower leaves seem to be whitening/browning a bit. Upper leaves look fine (so far). Can anyone give a diagnosis? We just had our first couple of days over 25 degrees (77F) and it gets a lot of sun.

gz7JoB5.jpg

See white/brown on leaves

5L8nSAO.jpg

Upper leaves look fine

Thanks for any advice

If you just plopped it outside after starting it inside your house it's likely sun scald. This happens as a result of the sudden environmental fluctuation without acclimating the plant to its new spot.

It'll be fine.

yep i'm thinking it is shock of the replant as well. another plant from a diff source i planted at the same time a far distance away (but that gets a bit less sun( has similar lower leaves but to a lesser degree. there are no bugs on it and thr plants get enough morning sun that they arent overly damp

The soil looks like it is waterlogged.
Upon transplant the roots lose some of their capacity to absorb water.
Wait a couple of days before watering.
If you see young leaves limp then you water.
It is easier to recover a plant from under-watering than from root damage from excess water.
HTH

Last edited:
yeah, I'm voting the sun...

when you water, make sure you don't get water on those leave. It will never recover that damaged spot so don't fret too much over it.

Great info cannman, everything you have said is pretty much bang on with my experience with the plant since the initial post. It has since grown several new leaves and all of them are beautifully green.. Didn't think about getting the leaves wet though, good idea to prevent mildew etc. Case closed?

Back