1Gig Fiber Internet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scturo

Reaction score
Anyone running this? Any issues? It just came available in my area, so I ordered it. I am wondering what the normal hardwire, and wifi speeds will be. I don't expect 1Gig for wifi, but 300+ would work for me.

I think the wireless speeds would depend on your router and wireless clients. I do not have gigabit fiber but you can review the speeds of other users on the ISP on ookla.com and dslreports.com. FWIW, if you have a router capable of 40mhz wide wireless N or A and you have clients that match that you may get close to 300Mbit, but in my experience you'll need to be pretty close and not have too many wireless clients. In my experience you'll be lucky to get 300Mbit no matter what the hardware, let alone ISP. Your operating system may say you're connected at that speed but you'll be hard pressed to get it.

AC MIMO makes the Wifi piece easy. I have an (ASUS) AC2400 router stubbed off my LAN and it easily outstrips our most current gen wireless clients (theoretical max bandwidth in 5Ghz AC mode is over 1.7 Gbps). Kicks the crap out of the N router supplied by Verizon.

I've hit over 500Mbps on my Samsung Tablet - it downloads the Sunday Boston Globe in two seconds - takes longer to unzip the payload than to download the file :)

As for Gigabit service, I'd love the opportunity, but my expectations are you won't find any sites that'll fill that pipe. Even the 100Mbit symmetric service I've had for a few years now rarely sustains anything near peak - even when downloading big updates from Microsoft...

Cheers!

I'm going to try it with my existing wifi extenders, which are just older used routers. I'm hoping to get 300+ out of their limited hardware. If not, at least now I have an option with the AC2400. Thanks guys

Back