Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That vote is sucky, but at least it passed. Now, the question is WHEN DO WE GET A DAY IN THE ACTUAL SENATE?

I love how there is belief that it will lead to more alcohol abuse. When my main goal is to get hammered the last thing I think about is brewing a new batch. That's what bourbon is for...

I love how there is belief that it will lead to more alcohol abuse. When my main goal is to get hammered the last thing I think about is brewing a new batch. That's what bourbon is for...

I really want to get hammered. I think I'll spend the next 5 hours mashing, boiling, and generally running around. Then I'll wait a few weeks for my beer to ferment. Then I'll keg it and let it condition for another few weeks. Then I'll throw it into my kegerator to let it carb up for another week. Then I'll pull a crap load of pints and get my drunk on. SAID NO ONE EVER

Got this email from Right to Brew. Folks, if you live in Alabama, please help out!

The Alabama Homebrew Bill, HB9, was reported favorably by the Senate Job Creation and Economic Development Committee yesterday afternoon. The next step is for the whole Senate to vote on it. If HB9 gets approved by the Senate, then it goes to the governor to sign into law!

But first, it must be chosen out of the large stack of available bills to be placed on the Senate's agenda for a vote. The Senate Rules Committee defines each day's agenda on what is called a Special Order Calendar. In fact, there will be only eight more Legislative Days left in the session for HB9 to be placed on a Special Order Calendar. Those days will span about the next month's time, but this means we have only 8 more opportunities to earn our Right To Brew....

So, what can you do to help? Contact some or all members of the Alabama Senate Rules Committee and politely ask them to please allow HB9 to get a vote by placing it on a Special Order Calendar as soon as possible. Last year's Homebrew Bill died because the Senate never brought it up for a vote. We must not let that happen again this year!

The following senators constitute the Rules Committee. You will be surprised how quickly you can go through the list of phone numbers, one by one, asking the senators' assistants who answer something like, "Please allow HB9, the Homebrew Bill, to get its chance for a vote by placing it on a Special Order Calendar." Or, if you prefer, several of the senators have email addresses listed.

Thank you all for helping pass HB9, the Alabama Homebrew Bill!

Senate Rules Committee Members
------------------------------
Senator Jabo Waggoner, Chair
(334) 242-7892
[email protected]

Senator Jimmy Holley, Vice Chair
(334) 242-7845

Senator Scott Beason
(334) 242-7794

Senator Roger Bedford
(334) 242-7862
[email protected]

Senator Gerald Dial
(334) 242-7874

Senator Priscilla Dunn
(334) 242-7793

Senator Vivian Figures
(334) 242-7871
[email protected]

Senator Rusty Glover
(334) 242-7886

Senator Tammy Irons
(334) 242-7888
[email protected]

Senator Arthur Orr
(334) 242-7891
http://www.arthurorr.com/contact

Senator Trip Pittman
(334) 242-7897
[email protected]

Senator Paul Sanford
(334) 242-7867
[email protected]

Senator Clay Scofield
(334) 242-7876
[email protected]

Senator Paul Bussman
(334) 242-7855
[email protected]

This is going to be the MAJOR hurdle we face this year. The majority of the Republicans on this committee OPPOSE alcohol legislation. The Democrats are more likely to pick a Democrat's bill for placement on the SOC.

Send each one of these guys an e-mail today. Call their office tomorrow. Drop a letter in the mail the next day. (or whatever order you choose) We need a HUGE show of support to get HB9 on the SOC. This is where we were defeated last year.

It is also worth calling YOUR Senator and asking them to ask the Rules committee members to bring HB9 to the floor. If you do that, be sure to tell them that you are a constituent!

Hammer, Hammer, Hammer! I will post updates each time the committee is going to meet (when I find out). We should all call each morning that they are going to meet and ask them again. We HAVE to stay on these guys or they are going to treat us the same as they did last year.

We are screwed. It probably won't get to a vote. If it does they will amend it to include registering with the sheriff. It will then have to go back to the house.

It will either not make it to a vote or die in the house.

The ****ing school voucher shenanigans screwed us.

Having said all of that, I am still making my calls and sending my emails

I just emailed all of them, as well as Gerald Allen (my own senator). Note that Sanford's email is bouncing.

You're right it is for another thread. I'm glad I bother to read legislation though otherwise I may be inclined to believe the lieing AEA as well.

Again not a school voucher. Still wanting this to make it through though.

This reminds me of the "well, actually..." guys in the funniest things overheard thread.

Not technically a school voucher bill, I guess, but we all know the legislation that CVGT refers to.

Let's let this thread focus on the task at hand - namely, getting homebrewing legal in Alabama - shall we? We can discuss general politics/pedantics in another thread.

While you're probably correct and I normally share your cynicism, I'm not willing to give up on it yet. Doing so does no justice to anyone. Besides, things have got to start being made right somewhere. Frankly I think the embarrassment of being the only state in the entire US to go out of their way to prohibit our federally given rights should count for something. Or against our non-supportive reps if nothing else.

Yeah, my emails referenced that we're the only state that still had homebrewing as illegal.

I doubt that helps, but I included it.

We are screwed. It probably won't get to a vote. If it does they will amend it to include registering with the sheriff. It will then have to go back to the house.

It will either not make it to a vote or die in the house.

The ****ing school voucher shenanigans screwed us.

Having said all of that, I am still making my calls and sending my emails

Puddleglum? Is that you?

I can relate to Puddleglum. He's a good man--er, actually, marsh-wiggle. Very respectable marsh-wiggle. Respectowiggle.

I don't know what a Puddleglum is, but I know that these guys will do whatever they can to keep from voting on this. It is a good political move in the bass-ackward state to let it die. That way they don't piss anyone off except for a handful of homebrewers.

I don't know what a Puddleglum is, but I know that these guys will do whatever they can to keep from voting on this. It is a good political move in the bass-ackward state to let it die. That way they don't piss anyone off except for a handful of homebrewers.

I'm sorry; there was only a chance you'd know about Puddleglum. He is one of my favorite literary characters--partly a comic figure, but also a hero. He has a way of thinking in detail about all the things which can go wrong, voicing these thoughts, but then forging ahead no matter what. He likes to drink and may say "Reshpeckobiggle" when he's had a bit much (meaning Respectowiggle, for respectable marsh-wiggle).

Anyway, all you say is likely enough to happen, I shouldn't wonder. If it doesn't and we get what we'd like in the senate, I shouldn't wonder if it gets vetoed by the Baptist deacon. People say that's not likely, but "I'm a chap who always likes to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it" as Puddleglum would say.

Still, Mr. ALCAP said he thinks it will pass and, if I were him, I probably would be a bit worried at this point. They must have pounded that committee pretty hard while we didn't because the identical bill had already passed through them at 5 to 1. We'll pound the next committee and, if that works, the general senate, so we may do better. I agree the committee is our big concern at this point. I checked FTH today and saw a couple more committee members were likely to oppose than likely to support. Quite a few were in the unknown column, so it could go either way and the committee chair supports us. The senate president is a strong supporter too, if that means anything.

I'm also hoping that, since it has been through the house and time is running out, some who would support it but might also have nothing against a registration amendment, would reject the amendment, knowing it would kill the thing.

I'm also hoping that, since it has been through the house and time is running out, some who would support it but might also have nothing against a registration amendment, would reject the amendment, knowing it would kill the thing.

Holtzclaw has been asked to reject any amendments, period. It is up to him if he chooses to do that or not, but we have specifically said we will not support a registration amendment.

We are not sex offenders, we shall not register. :mad:

Holtzclaw has been asked to reject any amendments, period. It is up to him if he chooses to do that or not, but we have specifically said we will not support a registration amendment.

We are not sex offenders, we shall not register. :mad:

That is good to hear, both for the principle of the thing, as you pointed out, and the issue of opening oneself up to enforcement. There could be a few sheriffs in the state who might decide they have nothing better to do than go around searching the homes of brewers. Even if not over the limit, this would be undesirable. Of course, even for those limiting themselves carefully to 15 g per quarter, it could be easy to find oneself above that limit at times, especially if one wants to age something or, God forbid, slow down on drinking for a little while. The unregistered would be very unlikely to have any problems with the sheriff, so this would be the height of unfairness to those wishing to be within the law by registering. I'm sure most of us have thought about all these issues, but many of our lawmakers may not have.

I see.

I guess in that respect I more resemble Puddleglum than Dr Pangloss ;)

I had to look that one up. Where is that guy, anyway? I could use some cheering up. However, as a Puddleglum fan, I know Pangloss would only open me up to the probability of demoralizing disappointment later.

Does this mean its moving forward?

"Pending third reading on day 23 Favorable from Job Creation and Economic Development"

Good old Puddleglum! A better or truer marsh-wiggle never lived.

My senator is Paul Bussman, so I've emailed him. I'll email the others when I get a chance. I may call them all on Monday.

That is good to hear, both for the principle of the thing, as you pointed out, and the issue of opening oneself up to enforcement. There could be a few sheriffs in the state who might decide they have nothing better to do than go around searching the homes of brewers. Even if not over the limit, this would be undesirable. Of course, even for those limiting themselves carefully to 15 g per quarter, it could be easy to find oneself above that limit at times, especially if one wants to age something or, God forbid, slow down on drinking for a little while. The unregistered would be very unlikely to have any problems with the sheriff, so this would be the height of unfairness to those wishing to be within the law by registering. I'm sure most of us have thought about all these issues, but many of our lawmakers may not have.

What is the limit though? Is it only 15 gallons on site or is it 15 gallons brewed per quarter = as long as they can't prove I brewed more than 15 gallon a quarter they can't touch me for having a tonne of homebrew in my house :D

What is the limit though? Is it only 15 gallons on site or is it 15 gallons brewed per quarter = as long as they can't prove I brewed more than 15 gallon a quarter they can't touch me for having a tonne of homebrew in my house :D

It is both. A 15g posession limit and a 15g per quarter production limit.

We have 3 chances to make it on the SOC this week.

ALABAMANIANS - Call, e-mail, write, fax, or visit the members of the Senate Rules Committee and ask them to place HB9 on the Special Order Calendar!

Senator Waggoner: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd016.html
Senator Holley: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd031.html
Senator Beason: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd017.html
Senator Bedford: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd006.html
Senator Dial: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd013.html
Senator Figures: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd033.html
Senator Glover: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd034.html
Senator Irons: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd001.html
Senator Pittman: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd032.html
Senator Sanford: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd007.html
Senator Scofield: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd009.html
Senator Bussman: http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senatebios/sd004.html

Isn't it amazing that in 2013 four of these guys don't have e-mail addresses? (and Sanford's was not delivered)

It took ten minutes to send the other 8 an email this morning. If you live in Alabama, take the time and contact these guys.

My email:

I am writing to ask you to place HB9 on the Special Order Calendar this week.

Please allow the many home brewers in our state the right to pursue their hobby.

Audemus jura nostra defendere!

Respectfully,

I sent my emails as well. Also had Sanford's returned and also was surprised at the fact that some had no addy

From a guy who recently tweeted this on Alabama Homebrewing:

"I called today and they said it will likely be placed on the agenda for the last day they're in session."

This was from: "The lady I spoke to when I called Sen. Waggoner's office."

"She basically told me they have more important things to worry about, but she expected it to be on the agenda the last day."

Hmmm...I don't know why they'd be more likely to make it a priority on the last day, when they are really in a rush.

I may be channeling Puddleglum, but this sounds like they are really saying "It's not going to make it to the floor, but you should hope for the last day so that, by the time you know it's not on there, it will be too late to annoy the committee with phone calls."

I'd say it's time to really lay into them with phone calls, so they won't feel so much like "they have more important things to worry about."

We sat here the last day last year hoping that they would get to it... They won't put it on the SOC for the last day because it is controversial enough that it will hold things up too much.

ALCAP has these guys by the balls and they are not going to let it get to a vote.

Honestly I think everyone should call each of them to request it be added to the calendar every single day remaining in the session. I'm less and less sold on playing nice as days progress given that it only makes it easier and less of a problem to snub us.

Sidenote, the way it was explained to me is even if we could get the bill on the calendar, the rest of the educational garbage they're ferrying through that everyone wants to get their name gets first priority by their rules and there is of course a ton of them because of the earlier session tantrums. Until (if is probably more accurate) those make it through we're probably screwed. What's worse, is most of it is garbage related to the whole "Core" monstrosity that they've already approved so it's all just feel good vote pandering garbage anyway.

Yay...

Accidic said:
Honestly I think everyone should call each of them to request it be added to the calendar every single day remaining in the session. I'm less and less sold on playing nice as days progress given that it only makes it easier and less of a problem to snub us.

I'm down for that ! Who do I need to call !!!?

Back