15 days since planting cascade rhizome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joehoppy

Reaction score
Surprised how fast it is growing! Over 3 ft tall!

1397069693831.jpg

Wow! Its been 15 days since I noticed this year's shoots sticking up and their only about 3 inches long at this point.

Same here.. my 2nd year Willamette popped up april 1 and I have about 5 shoots that are 2in as of today... u might need a little bit bigger trellis for that beast!

Not to burst your bubble but how much direct light is that guy getting? It looks a bit etiolated to me, which is where a plant searching for more light stretches and gets "leggy" rather than building strong roots, strong stems, and thick foliage. Height isn't necessarily what you want if the rest of the plant isn't keeping up with it... I could be wrong, but the leaves seem too far apart, not very big, and weak looking... suggests etiolation, might want to get it in direct sun more of the day and see if the vertical growth slows, but the leaves look healthier and start forming closer together.

If you have it indoors this is almost certainly a problem. I can't imagine even a south-facing window being enough light for a hop plant beyond the initial seedling stage.

I agree that something does not look right with that plant.

None of my seven cascade plants look that thin and with the leave so far apart.

I move them around the room to try and keep them in as much sunlight as possible. Really I am not expecting anything out of them this year as I just want to get them started and plant outdoors in a few weeks.

If there's little chance of frost outside, move it outside move it to the sunniest spot possible now, or you'll end up with a weakly rooted plant that will likely go into shock when you transplant it. Even if there is frost chance you can still bring it in at night, and leave it outside in the sun all day.

Back