12 Volt Seltzer system idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonInATL

Reaction score
I am looking to build a seltzer system for our sailboat but this could work in a RV also. We don't have a large fridge so can't really have room for a corny keg, even 2.5 gallon, and a kegland carbonator lid.

What I am looking to do is use a dual path cold plate in the bottom/back of the fridge.
- First path would be to chill the filtered water.
- Then have a wye, one leg going to a cold drinking water tap
- The other leg would go a a check valve and then into a blichmann quickcarb (or knock off)
- back into the 2nd path of the cold plate.
- Out to a seltzer water tap

I am not sure if need a higher pressure pump before the quickcarb since the water system is a on demand pump that turn on based off pressure drop and the normal pressure is not that high (20-25 psi). Not sure if the pressure will drop enough to enable the current pump due to the check valve and the CO2 pressure.

I am not looking for something to put out gallons of water at a time. Maybe 20-32 oz at a time. We normally go through about 2-3 liters a day at home for the two of us. We just don't have the room for a bunch of 2 ltr bottles or a small keg on the sailboat.

Again we are mainly off the grid and don't like to have the inverter running all the time so I don't think a McCann style carbonator will work.

I think your best bet would to be to invest in a SodaStream. The quickcarb is designed to work in conjunction with a keg by constantly circulating the contents of the keg through it, by having a single pass without a reservoir for multiple passes of the water, you'll likely end up with disappointing seltzer. With something like a SodaStream, you'll be able to make the seltzer on demand to the carbonation level you desire, and the canisters are designed to do up to 60L, and if you get an adaptor you can use a standard 5lb CO2 tank and not have to refill as often. Plus, this would make it easier to move from your Boat to your RV...

Back