100 gallons of joy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bottoms-up

Reaction score
Im quite sure im going to get some guff about the title but!!! I happen to have a rather high tolerance for beer as do my after work cohorts. Between myself and my wife we can smash the ass out of a 30 pack of light beer daily and that is after i have a few with the boys at the shop. As you can imagine its quite an expensive habit. I buy 1-2 30's daily. Im lush i know haha. If ever you've been to Dubuque IA you would know what i mean, its the norm here.

I also dabble a bit in the heavier beer which i find myself slowing down and enjoying more.

Having said that, i love a dark beer, lager beer, pilsner beer, ect.. I just love beer.

I have absolutely no experience brewing but am determined to learn plus im one handy sob and have not failed yet at thing ive put my mind to.

I would like to start out learning the basics and eventually be self sufficient brewing my own 3-4mo supply.

As i said i am a dabbler of all genre's of beer. My staple i guess would be light beer such as MICH ultra or Bush light. my 2 favs. I do also mix in a few heavies in the scheme of things almost daily. Such as Mississippi Mud, Heinekin, Corona, Modelo, Land Shark, Im partial to skunky beer i guess but i do sample all varieties equally.

I have a gigantic warehouse and plenty of space. I would like to brew a 3-4 month supply at a time. Im thinking 100 gallons should do. Please understand i am a very busy man but i have the space and mechanical ablity to do this eventually.

Could anybody steer me in the right direction of a large brew setup? I know im ahead of myself but im thinking way ahead:ban: Thanks in advance!

I don't want to dissuade you from brewing, but, it isn't like other beer. You typically won't slam a case a night of it. Once you realize the time and effort involved you will relish every sixer like its liquid gold. If you intend to start brewing then I highly recommend a simple 5 gallon batch to discover what makes this obsession tick. If after that you decide to make barrels of it then the 5 gallon system will come in handy for propagating yeast.

As a homebrewer who once only enjoyed light lagers I encourage you to try a simple malty beer at first. A kit nut brown was my first and it was love from the start. Now I am about to embark on all grain brewing and I know it will allow me greater control. I know because I started with a simple 5 gallon set up without anything but a prayer it might be drinkable. Start dabbling with it to make sure you have been called by the obsession before you drop thousands on a setup you might not even want in six months.

I believe that you'll be hard pressed to save money homebrewing beer over buying low end beer. You can get alot of joy and entertainment out of the process and end up with a higher quality beer, but everytime I've priced it out it has ended up costing the same as a decent store bought beer.

This is why I've started with ciders. The couple ciders I've started have turned out great and cost about $0.60/12 oz bottle, which is the same as a mich ultra. Plus, they come out at about twice the alcohol. I can drink 6 michs in a night, but I'm hardpressed to to drink 2-3 ciders.

Also, doing the math, 30 beers/night is equivalent to about 253 gallons every three months.

Anyway, I don't want to dissuade you. Just look at this as a hobby, not a cheaper alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back