100 ft 3/4 inch copper immersion chiller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyd

Reaction score
I built this to cool 200 gallon batches for a friend. When you fill it with water the copper will not support the weight. My 3/8" chiller is next to it for reference. I am in the process of building a large reverse flow chiller to replace this.

IMG_0082.jpg

What happened when you filled it - did the whole thing somehow collapse?
You could run a couple of copper uprights and solder the coils to it.
Considering the cost of that much copper tubing, it's shame that didn't work out...

What happened when you filled it - did the whole thing somehow collapse?
You could run a couple of copper uprights and solder the coils to it.
Considering the cost of that much copper tubing, it's shame that didn't work out...

Originally the smaller coil was in the center of the outer coil. when you filled it with water it would collapse the coils on each other. This was only a temporary solution when it was built. it doesn't collapse with the coils interwoven. I didn't want to waste the silver solder or copper putting on uprights when it would soon be re-purposed. The copper is going to get re-used as a cooling coil in another large fermenter. I searched the net for anyone who had attempted a coil this large but was unable to find anything. Full of water this thing weighs about 65lbs. I just wanted to post this one to share what I have learned.

Back