trying to make some wine for a veteran (fair warning this is a long question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paramedic007

Reaction score
not really sure where to start with this one, the reason for this question is to help a navy vet save some dollars on his wine bill. I am certain he is a main contributor to the bottom line profit of carlo rossi (about 12 bucks for a gallon) or the boxed wine franzia (9 or 10 bucks for 5 liters) neither are award winning quality but the franzia is fairly decent, so basically I am shooting for a taste that is ballpark with these two, and I am asking if this recipe, in y'alls opinion, could maybe help this guy out with the cost of consuming a hell of a lot wine without getting below the taste of the previously mentioned fine wines. I am a greenhorn at brewing extract brew, so bare with me if you have the time and patience. Recipe calls for
-.25oz active dry yeast

-4 cups sugar

-12fl oz frozen juice concentrate

-cold h20

and basically it says combine ingredients, cap off jug with a balloon, watch balloon expand, when balloon goes back down, wine is ready.

Now I know we are not in prison trying to get drunk off of whatever we can, but time and resources limit me to base model wine making to help ol' dude out.

Here is where the double whammy comes into play, I can obviously take a small one gallon batch and try this out, and then after the 4,5,6 weeks however long it takes to ferment, try it, tweek it a little, and then make a bigger batch, but then that adds another month or two until he has enough to save some real money. I have an extra (12 gallon I think) carboy (bought this stuff from some guy off craigslist to brew beer ((got a really good deal $100 for two big carboys, a washing/drying rack full of bottles, hydrometer, siphon tube, airlocks, capper/corker, caps, two big trash can looking things, measuring spoons, the whole nine yards)) but I have a 5 gallon IPA in one carboy and it is a little less than half full, so I'm guessing they are around 12 gallons each. Anyway, if you are still reading this, I want to just go ahead and spend the money on making like a 10 gallon batch of this wine and give it to this guy, assuming it is a little above cell block quality, if not I will try something else, but I wanted to start here. So I am going to up the recipe to the desired amount and run with it, but the questions are,
1) Does this even seem like a possibility of having even a somewhat drinkable wine?

2) I don't think a balloon is going to work on this scale, so will a rubber stopper with an airlock work, or will it blow the stopper into my ceiling in a day or two? If so, what is a solution?

3) Anything at all that can help this experiment, will be greatly appreciated by me and hopefully an ol' dude who lives in a shed with a bunch of tattoos and a dog, who I hope doesn't pass of cardiac arrest when I bring him 10 gallons of wine and tell him he doesn't have to spend money anymore on booze, because it is free from now on. I can also be reached at [email protected]

Wine's quality is based 95% on the quality of the ingredients. If you want to make something average, use a wine kit. You have everything you need already as far as equipment goes. I make both wine and beer. My general opinion is that wine is very dependent on the fruit and beer is very dependent on the process.

Fruit juice and sugar just is not going to make good wine, at least not good grape wine.

Back