100% Aromatic malt? Munich 20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somedudefromguam

Reaction score
Has anyone used 100 percent aromatic malt in their grist? How about 100 percent Munich 20? I actually experimented with the Munich 20 on a small scale and could not get a negative starch test, so matched the munich with 2 row and finally converted.
I am trying to experiment with base malts, I wanna make something super malty like an Octoberfest. The brew with 50% Munich and 50% 2 row was not nearly as malty flavored as any good Octoberfest I have had... I did generously hop it and used cali yeast, maybe that threw off the malty flavors...
Thanks!! l:u)

Have you ever used plain old 'Munich'? Sometimes called light munich or munich I. Generally you can't use any roasted or toasted malts as a base. The highest you could go with a base malt is probably 7-9L. I use Best Malz Munich which is supposed to be between 6-8L. It will self-convert and its nice and malty.

Back