1-wire device to control a fan??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How would someone go about using a 1-wire adapter to control a fan? I think the device should be able to trigger an event in some way, which could be used by a simple circuit to fire a relay. I'm not good at filling in the blanks...

I have a 1-wire network set up, and I thought it would be handy to turn on a heater, or a computer fan to draw cold air in, if I could tap into the temp sensor system.

I'm thinking it should be much easier to to this than to buy another temp controller.

EDIT: Actually, I meant it should be "cheaper" than buying another temp controller...

not sure if this is what you are looking for, but a PWM controller for fan speed uses one additional wire to the red and black power/ground.

What are you running the 1-wire network on? Arduino, Brewtroller, or other?

I doubt that you could directly power a fan or a relay from the 1-wire circuit alone. I believe you would need to utilize a separate pin to control a relay.

You need to provide more information.

A switch can be set up as a 1 wire device. As that, any switch (a thermoswitch, a pressure switch, etc) can be a 1 or 2 wire device, depending on its construction. Thermoswitches are usually 1 wire devices, because the body of the switch itself acts as the second wire, so, if you screw it up to, let's say, a tank, and you wire one of the poles that feed the fan to that tank, and the other pole directly to the fan, all you need is to wire the switch's free wire directly to the fan's second pole, and you're done.

I'll tell you what I got:

1-wire temp sensor = DS18S20
A USB adapter to read the network =
ds9490r-a.jpg

Logtemp software = http://www.mrsoft.fi/ohj01en.htm

I could maybe trigger the relay from the alarm. I'm not sure. I am pretty sure I'll need another small circuit to trigger a relay or something, but I'm not up on electronics enough to know for sure. I can manage to put some stuff together, but by no means am I an EE.

I may have some time today to read up on the software and see what I can find. Manual for it is pretty slim.

Been looking a bit today. It's def doable. I found a bit of information that shows a 1-wire switch that can take a sensor reading and output a relay control. It's a small bit more complicated than the simple 1-wire temp sensor recording thing, but it's def within my range of understading.

The specific circuit I am looking at has a logic chip and an LCD readout. You can program the circuit via buttons on the unit, or through an RS232 software. Using the LCD and buttons, the PC is not required. Using a PC, the LCD and buttons would not be required (lowering the cost of the unit) There is software already created, so the hard part would be taken care of.

It could be set to run either for heating, or cooling.

In reality, it's not very different from the common temp control units out there, and I am not sure the cost would be any less when all is said and done. Might be fun to build, and there is flexibility in a circuit of this type. I'll have to keep looking for more information.

http://www.1wire.info/index.htm

Oh, and the PIC would require programming... Not a huge deal if your wife works at an electronics R&D company with a programmer..

You might take a look at the Fermoire build I think that guy used 1-wires for all the temp sensing and fan controls, and hooked it up to a PC.

His design calls for a 4-port Hobby Boards relay, which would be nice, except they only offer 8-port models now and they are over $50 each.

You can burn a bootable CD or stick the entire OS + custom code onto a bootable USB drive.

Yeah that was my idea. Dual Boot, or just boot from USB (If my laptop would support it, which I doubt it will) I could probably run it from a floppy load of a very small linux, but by then a dual boot would be easier.

Your laptop SHOULD support booting from USB unless it's very old. You just need to change the startup options in BIOS settings.

I won't use my new mini for this. But I might use my old one, and I doubt it's new enough to boot from USB. I think I've gotten rid of anything older than that ;)

Or, I could load it on a small HDD and run it on an old desktop. I have TONS of old desktops available. I could configure it in advance, and then deadhead it in the garage.

Back