1 barrel on the cheap.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beakr

Reaction score
ok I'm looking for any help i can get on this.
I'm planning on using 2 55 gallon food safe drums to make a hot water tun and a mash tun. From what i read they have a high temp rating of 185 degrees. I also see people use plastic coolers and i my self have been using 10g gatorade coolers for a couple years.
I also have an aluminum 40 gallon pot i was thinking i could use as a boil pot. I have never used anything other than aluminum pots and have never had any metallic tastes and never have had anyone say that either.
i will build a false bottom out of stainless steel mesh .I will build a 3 tier system out of 2x4s and let gravity do the sparge. i would use my wort chiller to cool it .(i can only imagine it will take at least an hour)i will also use 50 gallon drums to ferment in.

ok so problems i see
heating this water , the only thing i can think is build a "camp fire" underneath it.
wich is not a problem i have a lot of firewood.
cooling it with a wort chiller designed for 6 gallon batches

i searched around a bit on the forums , couldn't find anything exactly like this. if u have or know of any threads that relate or could help please let me know thank you

I can post some pics of the pot and my wort chiller and the tier system in about an hour or 2

Ok so after reading a few hours last night I'm buying a stainless steel 55 gallon drum to use as my electric boil kettle. From my reading i think i can get away with about 10kw 240v electric emersion heater "i think I'm saying that right" . if any one has any info on these please let me know , threads right ups i don't care.
I plan on using my aluminum kettle as a hot water tun with electric emersion heaters as well.
I'm over the tiered system I'm buying a pump instead sounds like too much work otherwise.

again any help with anything related to building a 1 bbl system is appreciated
cheers

Ok so after reading a few hours last night I'm buying a stainless steel 55 gallon drum to use as my electric boil kettle. From my reading i think i can get away with about 10kw 240v electric emersion heater "i think I'm saying that right" . if any one has any info on these please let me know , threads right ups i don't care.
I plan on using my aluminum kettle as a hot water tun with electric emersion heaters as well.
I'm over the tiered system I'm buying a pump instead sounds like too much work otherwise.

again any help with anything related to building a 1 bbl system is appreciated
cheers

just a lot of beer for friends and family. i want to not have to brew but once a month. i love home brew . Cant stand store prices. i live an hour away from a gas station. i don't have but maybe a couple real days off a month. I've been reading a lot in the electric brewing forum . probably will come up with a completely different design then what i stated in my first post. this site is bad ass and has a lot of things i want to read before i go buying anything other than 55 g ss drums.
so again bonus points for any one with write ups about personal 1 bbl systems.
thanks again:mug:

do you have a temp controller ferm chamber for something that big? Personally, i LOVE brewing not just drinking. I have a 5 tap system (so almost a barrel on tap total) but this way i can have multiple beers and a cider on tap. Everyone can have something they like and its not just a 1 beer fits all solution. If you dont like the actual brewing process, i dont have a suggestion except maybe pair up with someone that does and have them brew it if you pay for it??

Personally, i would try to avoid plastic for anything that gets warmer than my mash temps (i use a 72qt cooler) unless is specifically food grade and able to handle the temps for fear of leaching something nasty into my beer. good luck

I love brewing , i would just like more for my time. i distill as well so that takes up my other day off . ya I'm going to be using some sort of stainless containers . i found an 85 gallon stainless tank for 500$ i might jump on. this may turn into more than 1 barrel and the way its looking ill probably spend a couple grand so cheap and 1bbl is flying out the window
most likely will start another thread and let this one fall to the bottom.

:rockin:

Back