1/2" vs. 3/4" spigot hole in 10 gallon round cooler for mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Baker

Reaction score
Maybe I have come to this very late but I would like to share a warning to any other home-brewer who seeks to convert a 10-gallon plastic cooler into a mash-tun. I’ve been an extract brewer for more than 15 years but a wonderful gift just recently has helped me to start the conversion to all-grain. So I needed a mash-tun and I found the Popular Mechanics article on their website written by William Herkewitz and Andrew Han back in Jul 29, 2014 under the heading “HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN HOME-BREWING MASH TUN.”

Unfortunately there is a basic error in that article, hence this attempt to warn others.

There are variations of the red/orange 10-gallon cooler - Rubbermaid/Home Depot/etc.

The one shown so prominently in the article is the one sold by Home Depot. The spigot in that model is mounted in a ½ inch hole so the ¾ inch fittings also shown in the article and listed in the shopping list, will NOT fit. Anyone trying to make that conversion with that particular model of cooler will need ½ inch fittings.

I assume, without practical knowledge of this, that the other variations of this cooler will need the ¾ inch fittings shown. It might be that the spigot hole in the cooler was changed in later models, although I bought mine just a few months ago so I believe it is current.

Hope this helps!

Greetings, @David Baker, and welcome to Home Brew Talk :mug:

This issue goes back over 15 years at least. I was fortunate to get the version with the wide ported valve (Home Depot-branded 10g Rubbermaid) back then, but I know of folks who ran into the smaller valve port as well. It has been covered occasionally over the years here on HBT but it never hurts to refresh the reminder :)

Cheers!

I've converted several of the orange Rubbermaids over my brewing life, and all, even Home Depot, had the smaller holes. But they're easy to cut or grind to a larger diameter. If you do this, you'll eliminate the portion of the edge which is bonded together and be left with two separated layers, which could (if seals fail) let liquid leak between the walls of the cooler. This is easily remedied by sealing up the edges of the hole with epoxy. This will work if you're for any reason compelled to use the 3/4" fittings. It is simpler, of course, to use fittings that fit the hole, but don't worry. Specific fittings can be hard to find. Holes are easy to find. :)

================= [EDIT] ===================
The title of this thread was changed to be descriptive of the topic.
=========================================

I would strongly recommend disregarding any DIY brewing equipment articles from more than 10 years ago. We've come a long long way. Use an Igloo not a Rubbermaid. Buy one of my True Weldless bulkheads for it. Install once and you can start brewing instead of chasing leaks.

Better yet, research BIAB.

Back