1/2" ID throughout Brew Stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifpthenq

Reaction score
So, I'm finalizing my keggles and ordered what I thought would be 1/2" ID pickup tubes from BargainFittings. Turns out, they're 1/2" OD. I was trying to achieve 1/2" ID throughout my single tier brewstand, including all valves, tubing, and pickup tubes in order to have the same flow rate through the whole setup to utilize the efficiency of my pump.

Having the source for the pumps smaller than the ID of the fittings on the pump head doesn't make sense to me. I could get my friend to weld some stainless tubing with 1/2" ID for me. Is it worth the trouble? Am I over-thinking this? Anyone done anything similar?

I apologize if this was already answered in another thread. I couldn't find it.

Yeah, I think you're over thinking.
Tubing, and it's related fittings are designated by it's OD. The tube wall thickness is then specified. Multiply the wall thickness by two minus the OD to get the ID.
The OD always stays the same, but the ID can vary by wall thickness.

It will probably slow things down a bit - after all a system will only flow as much as the smallest diameter. Will it matter enough to care? Well, hard to say. You could try it and if it does you can always change it later.

I would say you have your head in the right place about trying to make sure everything is matched to 1/2" - it does matter. Make sure you get full port valves, and that any fittings you buy aren't reducing fittings (be especially careful with barbs, quick disconnects).

That was pretty much my thinking on the whole thing. I didn't want my smallest diameter to be at the source, which is a whole 1/8" smaller than everything else (yep, because of the wall thickness).

$23 per pickup tube is a little expensive to use them for a while and then change your setup. I'm sure they would work fine though, with little recognizable difference. Probably wouldn't need to change them.

Does anyone have a wider than 1/2" OD pickup tube on their keggle? Are there any disadvantages to having a larger pickup tube?

Undersized pickup tubes will decrease flow a bit, but w/ 1/2" throughout, i would think you'll still have plenty of flow.

The smaller pick ups is not like having the entire system plumbed w/ 3/8. IMO it will still flow well...or RDWHAHB.

it will be fine, a reduction in pipe size does not quite relate to a reduction in flow. Pipes sizes don't work like speed limits. The fluid will just flow faster through the narrower pipe. There is an increase in headless due to a reduction in the hydraulic radius but it is not a big deal really, as we are dealing with very smooth surfaces. Also i hope you are not running flows where the head loss from a short piece of SS tubing is a limiting condition, you are going to have lots of other problems first.

So relax and make some beer

Back