1/2" Counterflow wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexKramer

Reaction score
Like this guys setup and was wondering if others have tried it. https://youtu.be/DVf-lTFpR2c.

Does 16' of 1/2" copper really cool to pitching temps w/out recirculating? I do note he runs water opposite direction of wort flow. All my other lines are 1/2" so it will fit my setup. Also I'm on well water so my summer temps are cold.(granite state)

His hardware is all brass but I'm looking to build a hybrid of this if need-be. Not sure what all those parts are.

First post here, long time lurker....

Thanks

I've seen that video before and it's a pretty cool design.

I followed the build that Tiber_Brew made in his Counterflow Wort Chiller Build (and use) thread.

I too am on well water and you will absolutely be impressed at how little water flow it will take to chill hot wort down to pitching temps. I would suggest you be prepared to add some sort of valve to control the cooling water flow. I found it necessary to add one after I built my CFC. If you do add a valve I would suggest using something other than a ball valve, I did opt to go with the ball valve and while it works... it's tricky to get it set just right.

CFC's really are not all that hard to keep clean either. I just boil some water at the beginning of brew day to run through it. At the end of brew day I run more boiling water through it to flush everything out.

Thanks for the info, looks like Im going to be at the mercy of whatever they have at the hardware store. Since my boiling pot has 1/2" I'd like to keep the flow thru the CFC at the same diameter it may not be practical though if not available, I want to brew this weekend! lol

Thanks again

Back