Thinking about a bike

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a bike for my daily commute. It'd save me gas and, more importantly, the parking spaces at work for 2-wheelers are a lot more convenient than the ones for cars. So I thought I'd seek out some advice from any bikers lurking around here.

I don't have a clue what I'm looking for. I've only ever ridden once. So I need something that wouldn't take too long to get comfortable with.
I'm 6'2" and 300+. So I need a fairly big bike to hold me comfortably and move me down the road.
I'd like something that could at least carry a little cargo if I wanted to hit the store on the way home.
I don't need a status symbol.
I'm not looking to prove my manhood or look macho.
I'm also not filthy rich. So no bling bikes.

Further complicating the issue is that my wife would also like her own bike at some point. So it would be nice if there were a smaller bike for her from the same maker as mine. Just to keep parts searches simple.

I like the idea of a dresser/bagger. Although that seems like it might be a bit hefty for a first bike. I've looked at dual-sports too. But they all look a bit light and underpowered for my girth.

Feel free to chime in with any thoughts or suggestions. Or let me know if there's any more information I can add to help narrow down the choices.

I don't have a clue what I'm looking for. I've only ever ridden once. So I need something that wouldn't take too long to get comfortable with. I'm 6'2" and 300+. So I need a fairly big bike to hold me comfortably and move me down the road. I'd like something that could at least carry a little cargo if I wanted to hit the store on the way home. I don't need a status symbol. I'm not looking to prove my manhood or look macho. I'm also not filthy rich. So no bling bikes. Further complicating the issue is that my wife would also like her own bike at some point. So it would be nice if there were a smaller bike for her from the same maker as mine. Just to keep parts searches simple. I like the idea of a dresser/bagger. Although that seems like it might be a bit hefty for a first bike. I've looked at dual-sports too. But they all look a bit light and underpowered for my girth. Feel free to chime in with any thoughts or suggestions. Or let me know if there's any more information I can add to help narrow down the choices.[/QUOTE said:
Im 6'2 180 and I ride to work every day. I always feel like I start my day off right with a nice ride. I have a giant defy1. It's a solid strong bike for around 1k. Your best bet is to go to the bike store and ride as many as you can. Get a feel for seats and position on your bike. It makes a BIG difference when riding over 5 miles. Also get the most expensive bike in your price range. It costs alot more to add parts to get it to the bike you want when you could have had it for much less overall. I added a bag set for my commute after just backpacking it. I love it. Make sure you get a small pack for a repair kit. You will have to change a tire tube on the road. It's not hard with some practice.

Look at a Kona Jake, they have several in that line, looks cooler than a road bike and they have mounts for racks and fenders, some come with disk brakes which are great for bad weather.

Why would you want a motorcycle? Get a bike which is short for bicycle, how can it be short for motorcycle? They haven't been called motor bikes for over a century. Get some exercise.

Why would you want a motorcycle? Get a bike which is short for bicycle, how can it be short for motorcycle? They haven't been called motor bikes for over a century. Get some exercise.

They've always been called bikes, and still are to this moment. Usually the meaning--whether it be a bicycle or motorcycle--is implied by context: in this case, dresser/bagger, duel sport, etc.

Anyway, OP, I've looked into the HD Sportster as a newbie bike. It's "cheap," has decent power, and it's by HD, so you know you have as many options as you want. Plus, it looks pretty slick. You can find some with a couple thousand miles for a few K off of new, but all HD's hold their value for a long time so it's still an investment. Used streetglides are nice as well. I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend.

650 to 1000 cc. Maybe start looking at 750. I'm thinking cruiser. More comfy. Upright seating. Cheaper to insure than any other. And sometimes just because the bike co calls it a dual or standard, the ins co still calls it sport and charges more.

Honda has a great rep for a reason. My Suzuki has done me well.

Please take a MSF course before you do this. They are around 100$ and you get your license endorsement with the class. I would hate to lose a fellow homebrewer and rider. Last thing I will say is ATGATT. Do these things, get a bike (start with a 600) and have fun.

Honda shadow or a v-star.

I'd look at the Star series by Yamaha. If I'm not mistaken, you can get engines in the 650, 1100, 1300, 1600, and 1700cc sizes. For a first timer (more or less) of your size, I'd go with either an 1100 or 1300. Enough power to do what you need and more to grow on without being too much for a new rider. And you can find them old enough to get one cheap. Reliable and aftermarket parts aren't so hard to come by so if you wanted to add some custom fit bags or a windscreen, there are plenty of options.

Second the idea of a motorcycle safety course. Even if you have experience, I would recommend it for everyone that hasn't taken it yet.

As for Harley's, they don't hold their value like they used to. ESPECIALLY the sportsters. Ever since the Japanese manufacturers (specifically Yamaha) got into customizable bikes, H-D lost a chunk of the market share. Now that people have options, H-D isn't so glamorous.

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
6'2" and 300? you'd look cute on a Sportster

I laughed pretty hard at this one. I'm 6' 230 and the sportsters are a bit awkwardly small for me. I feel right at home on my r6 though... Go figure.

I totally agree to take an MSF course though. You can get a break on insurance and they teach you how to properly make quick manouvers ( if its taught right at least) I don't really agree with the recommendation of a Honda shadow though, they are grossly under powered on my opinion. With the v-twin motors anything smaller than 1100cc will have plenty of power but still be easy to control for a new rider.

Take a course and go down to a dealer showroom and sit on some bikes to see what feels nice. Don't forget to look at victory bikes either, they are reasonably priced and well made. HD makes some good options for you as we'll with their 883(I think) motor in them.

I second what Zul said. 750 to 1000 cc Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda. Tons of parts out there, good riders, smooth rides, saddle bags, etc. I won't suggest a Sportster as personally I think they are uncomfortable as Hell (I'm pretty close to your size). A bigger bike will fit you well but don't get a 1500 cc as it will get heavy to handle on slow turns and is more lilely to be dropped. 600 will likely be too small, but could be good to learn on as they are light and easy to handle.

I won't second the riding course advice. I feel nothing beats just riding. But I've been riding since I was 16, so I'm biased. My actual advice would be buy an 80s Japanese bike for a grand or less, ride it, if you drop it, no big deal, then after you are comfortable riding then get the nicer bike you actually want. You'll also learn things you like or do t like on the cheaper bike.

Advice I learned when learning to ride, once you feel you've mastered the bike, it will master you. Also, if you drop it, if it is still rideable get back on it. Otherwise you'll never ride again.

Good luck on your search and welcome to another addiction.

I'm w the guy who says bicycle. Even if not for your commute in addition to a motorcycle if the distance is over 10 miles or really rugged. It'll make you feel great, lose weight and best of all drink just as much beer!!!! **** yeah!

I laughed pretty hard at this one. I'm 6' 230 and the sportsters are a bit awkwardly small for me. I feel right at home on my r6 though... Go figure.

I had a 2001 R6 in high school in 2003, 6' 3" and football playing weight of 235, That R6 was just perfect. Loved that bike. However a high school senior with a Super Sport bike isn't smart. 100 mph between stop signs on main street and taking laps on the high school track after school probably should have killed me. Or trying to hit top speed multiple occasions. Traded it in for Indian in college. Still looking for another one.

landshark said:
I had a 2001 R6 in high school in 2003, 6' 3" and football playing weight of 235, That R6 was just perfect. Loved that bike. However a high school senior with a Super Sport bike isn't smart. 100 mph between stop signs on main street and taking laps on the high school track after school probably should have killed me. Or trying to hit top speed multiple occasions. Traded it in for Indian in college. Still looking for another one.

I enjoy it. Mine is an 03 I bought in 04 from a guy who professionally raced it and tweaked a bit more power out of the motor. Runs great but I actually find it a bit under powered now when I am doing my canyon rides. Top end was never an issue but it is lacking on low end torque. I changed the sprockets as far as I can go without hurting the motor and its still not quite enough to get me through the twisties as fast as I would like so I'm going to upgrade to an r1 here before too long. Before that I was riding an old 77 Honda 550 that I did a bit of work on to make it more of a cafe racer style. Loved that bike but my little brother has it now.

I really liked the 750 Honda Shadow I owned. It got 54mpg and was super comfortable to ride. I had a 600 for a while but it was only a 4 speed and it topped out at 70 but that was pushing the revs. It's tank was also small so it's range was only 85 miles or so. The 750 had a much larger tank.

Have your wife sit on a 600 shadow. It's seat height was really low.

I have zero experience but I really like the can-am spyder roadster and plan on researching one for myself to learn on

ForumRunner_20130523_044613.jpg

Another vote for the Yamaha V-Star. And for your size, I'd say you really want at least 1000CC's. I have a 2006 V-Star Silverado 1100 and its been great. A short while after I bought mine they released the 1300's and those may even a better choice as they are fuel injected and liquid cooled (though liquid cooled isn't a real requirement...). IMHO, you will find that you acclimate to riding fairly quickly and if you ride much at all you may find you'd like a little more power than you first thought. It's easier to be lighter on the throttle than to get more CC's.

Also, I absolutely vote up the MSF class! I think it's a requirement now in Texas but even if it weren't, its time and money well spent. Even if you have a lot of riding experience I'd bet you would get something out of the class.

Alright alright, everyone gets a good laugh at Cathedral for saying Sportster. :mug:

I'm 6'2", 185; I've looked into them but haven't ridden one, I was just suggesting it because it's made to be an entry level bike.

My first bike was an 89 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. The 750 was good for my size but probably not quite enough for a southern gorilla :D

Have you thought about a trike? That's actually what I'm thinking about getting for my next bike. They're large enough and powerful enough, and with plenty of options for storage.

Just know that even if you do decide on a trike, you will have to take the safety course on a two-wheel. Trikes aren't allowed, at least not here in Ohio.

BrewerBear said:
650 V-Strom would be a good choice, or a Klr650 maybe.

+1 on a klr650. Great for tall riders and pretty good on gas. I used mine to get to work when I uses to commute 2 hours a day and am 6'1". Plenty of room and decent power. Plus if you keep up on oil changes, it will go 30k no problem.

@packersfan... All miles on a motorcycle are fun miles. Regardless where your going, it is the ride there that is the most fun of the whole experience.

Take the MSF course. Its quick, reasonably cheap and really does give you an idea if you really want a bike.
I only have experience with cruiser style bikes so I will stick with that on my advice. If you plan on doing any highway/faster speed road riding do not get anything below a 650cc, 750cc and up is preferable as you have the get up and go where you can accellerate out of trouble when at speed. I will also suggest not starting with a Harley. They just are too expensive to buy, maintain (parts are expensive), and you can get a really solid bike from Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc. I bought a 2002 750cc Honda Shadow from CL for $2500 2 years ago and have had no trouble with it. Go for what you want to start, but know that most people drop their bike at least once. No bigger kick to the teeth feeling than hurting your bike.

Also, just to the HD loyalists. I have nothing against HD, it just seems that they have more problems, and cost way more to buy/maintain.

Buying a bike -- you will save money on gas, but unless you are competant with a wrench, you are looking at frequent, expensive service calls. Additionally, expect to spend some money on new tires about every 8000 miles.

That being said, I strongly recommend the Yamaha Star line -- it is a solid bike and the price is extremely reasonable. The 950 would be good to hone your skills before you move up to a heavier bike. You can then give that one to your wife and move up to a bigger bike. Their full bagger, the Royal Star, is an evily heavy piece of machinery, but I have no plans of getting rid of mine for many years. Not good to learn on, but an excellent tourer. It also comes with a 5 year, transferrable, full warranty

As stated (many times) above, take an MSF course -- it'll learn ya something, and is good for a discount on insurance. And don't forget ATGATT!

I often hear people talk about getting a bike to save on gas and I have to admit this thought has crossed my mind several times.

Unfortunately, the folks on 4 wheels are not looking out for bike riders. Everyone I know that purchased a motorcycle has wiped out at least once in the first five years.

So the real question: is it worth saving a few hundred dollars on gas while taking on the risk of serious injury or death?

I stay away from bikes for this reason alone.

Another vote for MSF. No, it won't teach you as much as riding. Nothing will. I took the Course not knowing how to even start a bike and was able to drive mine home the day I bought it. What I learned in the Course enabled me to really learn once I had my own. And I'm convinced the instruction about how to run over something if you have to saved my life the day an empty wooden wire spool fell off a flat bed and sent wooden missiles towards me on the highway. I was able to maneuver the traffic and dodge some pieces, but that piece I couldn't miss, I hit it just like in class, except at about 60mph. The technique worked perfect. Text book.

Tire life depends on quality and riding style. Metzler, all the way. Those and IRC Grand High Speed have been the best. Over 10k. Dunlop was okay, but not as good on wear or handling.

I'm a commuter. Work to ride. Ride to work. My 805cc gets 40s to 50s mpg, depending on how hard I ride. It's mostly highway. The first four gears are just a means of getting to 5th.

Mine has been mechanically sound and solid. Somewhere over 40k now. Keep good oil in it. I prefer Castrol Actevo.

Wow! This got a ton of responses in a day. Thanks to everyone for the input. I'm going to try to respond to all the points made here. But I don't feel like scrolling back through all three pages to find who said what so I can give credit.

The MSF is a definite. Like I said, I've only ridden one time in my life. I don't remember what bike it was. I rode on my dad's Goldwing a couple times as a kid. But when he later bought some HD bike I couldn't even manage to get it across the yard. I know I need training.

ATGATT is exactly why I laugh when people talk about the freedom of being on a bike. I wouldn't even think of riding without all the gear. And it's hard to feel free when you're dressed like the gimp from "Pulp Fiction".

Safety is the main reason I've never owned a bike. With fifteen years experience behind the wheel of a semi I know all too well how dangerous the roads are. Of course, I also know that a LOT of bike wrecks are due entirely to the retard on the saddle.

I did a bunch of reading on the matter and most of the "experts" seem to agree that a 600 or maybe 750 is all a new rider really needs. It's hard to argue with the logic that too much power can be dangerous for a novice. But I do worry about having enough power to reach highway speeds in a timely fashion. Some of those smaller bikes barely weigh more than I do. I question their ability to accelerate when I double the weight by climbing aboard.

Money is another question. I'm not going to ride to work every day. So it isn't like I'm going to save a ton on gas. It might take years for the bike to pay for itself. So if gas is my sole reason for getting a bike then I can't justify the expense. And if I occasionally ride just for giggles then I'm burning all the gas I tried to save. Which means the bike is really just a toy. That makes the idea hard to justify as well.

I do like the idea of getting a "throwaway" bike for cheap just to learn on. I see them all the time for less than a grand. I could spend that and not feel too guilty about it. Then I could step up to what I recently realized is still my "dream" bike, a Valkyrie.

Somebody mentioned trikes. I looooooove trikes. The low-slung, chopper trikes. The converted bikes just look tall and goofy to me. I would get a trike in a heartbeat.

I don't care for that Can-Am thingy. It looks like a sport bike sodomized a snowmobile.

Oh, as for the suggestions to pedal to work. If it was a tenth of the distance it actually is I would do it in a second. But I'm not pedaling twelve miles each way. Especially not on the routes available to me.

Someone mentioned happy miles earlier... I 2nd this 100%. I have 3 bikes right now and still drive my suby to work. As a trucker, like you stated, you understand the danger. The roads you ride for fun are generally far less crowded, you are paying more attention because you are riding to ride, and you are not wedged between the angry cagers during rush hour. I do ride to work a few times a week, just easy to forget how fun it is and stop paying attention while commuting.

I had a 30 mile commute on county roads along the front range of Colorado for a summer, now that was the best of both worlds ;-)

Do it!!!

Lastly, during your MSF they will do emergency drills. Swerving, hard braking, etc. You will (as I have) fall on these when **** happens. The first time it does your first thoughts will be how glad you are you took the course.

Back