6 gallon batches, 5 gallon kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
Answer me this, a lot of recipes out there call for 6 gallons. Yet, there are 5 gallon kegs. What is everyone doing with that extra gallon when they keg?

Some people will say hop loss, but what about beers that don't have a lot of hops?

Most 6 gallon recipes are all grain. I make six gallon batches because I leave a gallon in my pot. I use a whirlpool and I can leave a lot of hop material and cold break in the boil kettle by leaving that last gallon. Many people also loose some wort during their mashing process. Some like to leave an inch of beer in their fermenters to keep trub out of their kegs/bottles. So its going to depend on your system. You may only need to make a 5.5 gallon batch to end up with five in the fermenter/keg, but I need six. If your extract, I really don't see a reason to scale the recipe to 6 gallons.

If I have any excess, I put it in the fridge in a growler, and then add to the keg when I have room...

Bottle the rest so you have some portable beer, or something to pass out to friends.

I brew 6 gallon batches so that I have the wiggle room to leave wort in the kettle.

Without having to push to get 5.5 gallons in the fermenter, I can comfortably leave the cold break and trub out of the fermenter. Makes for better beer in my opinion.

6 gallons lets you put plenty on the fermenter so you can also leave the last couple of inches in the carboy when you transfer. Again, keep the good stuff, leave behind the not-so-good stuff.

Back