Any opinions on my honey lemon wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgmartin000

Reaction score
5 gal
1.047 OG
24.5 IBU

2 lb 10 oz 2 row
1.5 lb light german wheat
1.5 lb dark german wheat
1.5 lb flaked wheat
1 lb C10
0.5 lb rice hulls

2.5 oz hallertaur 60 min
1 lb honey 10 min

zest from 2 lemons and 2 oranges at 10 min.

American wheat 1010 yeast.

I brewed this last summer, and it was great, however there was a bit of an acidic bite, I think due to the acid in the lemon peel. Anyone have any idea how to counteract that acidity?

Also, I was considering using kolsch yeast. I heard on an episode of brew strong that Kolsch yeast makes a really great american wheat. Anyone tried that?

a pound of crystal seems a bit much for a low gravity wheat beer. was this kegged or bottled? over carbonation can make the beer taste acidic. Pinkus makes an excellent wheat beer using kolsch yeast so i gave it a try and it was delicious. wyeast 1010 has to be my least favorite yeast and i would have used anything else but that.

woknblues means use only the zest and not the pith. Rind = peel = zest + pith.

There isn't a huge amount of acid in citrus zest (I brewed a pale ale with zest of 10 Meyer lemons, not overly acidic), I'd look elsewhere for the cause of the acidic bite.

Right on, thanks for the opinions. I'm going with a pound of crystal to hopefully offset some of the acidity. The recipie is based off a kit from Dry Dock that's really tasty, which uses a full pound of crystal 10. I thought the same thing.

This was originally bottled, but will be kegged this time. Last time I used the zest of 5 lemons, and it had a great lemon flavor. I'm going to go with lemon, orange, grapefruit, and a few other citrus fruits this time.

Got a starter of White Labs Kolsch yeast going.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the Pinkus wheat - I love their pilsner.

The kolsch yesst well work great i made a wild blackberry wheat last year that was good.

I have not added zest or honey to a beer yet, but Ive heard moving the additions to flame out is the way to keep more aroma. I guess honey is very delicate also and if you dont add it at flameout or in primary your just wasting the wonderfull flavor and aroma of the honey

Honey ferments fully so you won't taste it, but will make a drier beer. If you want honey taste add honey malt. It is pretty sweet, so I use sparingly. Also you may want to replace some of that crystal with it or it may be too sweet.

Back