Hotpoint Fridge - Kegerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
I just got a old Hotpoint fridge from another homebrew who was moving. It is a much older model, I can't find a model number on it.

I would like to drill into the left side to run my gas line. Anyone have any history with this brand of fridge?

Thanks for any help! Looking at drilling on Saturday. Since the fridge is on and running, I am going to cold crash my Dry-Hopped IPA while I get everything together.

Thanks!

"Old Hotpoint Fridge" covers a lot of territory. Could you at least post a picture of the front and back? Also, if there's any kind of kick panel on the front, or a removable panel on the back, you may be able to find a model number hiding, and sometimes even find a schematic folded up into a wad.

If the fridge has a radiator on the back or under the bottom, there's a good chance you can drill through the sides. Without any documentation, it's best to make a small hole just through the inner liner and then probe through the insulation towards the outer skin feeling for anything that might be part of the coolant loop or wiring, before widening the hole and drilling clear through...

Cheers!

3HL3YQT.jpg

Evap is in the frezzer. Condensor is either in the back or underneath. Sides should be just insulation

The condenser is underneath in the back. I saw it when I was cleaning all the dust and crap underneath.

What size hole do I need for the CO2 line?

I'm not 100% sure I know it's 5/16 ID and I believe It's 9/16 OD

Would I be able to drill in the back into the fridge on the left? I would rather not have my CO2 line coming off the side where it can be seen.

Thanks!!!!!

I have an older (mid 90's) hotpoint side by side and it has coils in the left side.. I found my schematics behind the front kick panel in a little pouch. GE now owns the hotpoint brand name so you can call them and ask them to email you a schematic if you can find your model number.. they can also help you find the model number for that matter.

Great! Thanks for the help. I think my coils are on the right side, if that's what the bulge is on the back of the fridge.

That's a tough one look underneath where the refrigerant lines go up through the refrigerator and see what side they go up. It should be a straight shot up into the freezer

Hello,

I recently came across an older Hot Point side by side as well that I am attempting to convert into a kegerator/ fermentation chamber. The model number is CSX22GR BG. I have contacted GE and they are e-mailing a copy of the wiring diagram. I have read several threads on people taking on projects like this using the Love TSS2 Dual Temperature Control switch. It this something that would be recommended with the unit as well? It seems that all of the cooling takes place on the freezer side and a fan moves the cool air to the fridge side. I am an novice so I may be wrong. I am basically trying to regulate the temperature on the freezer side to serving temp as this is where my corny kegs will be stored and regulate the fridge side temperature for fermenting ales. I do not think that I can do this with the factory switches/ thermostat. If I need to use the Love switch would it be recommended or necessary to replace the fan having the Love switch controlling the freezer side and the fan so the temperatures can be regulated? As you can tell I am a little lost and not sure where to begin. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Now we are getting into some fun stuff. I an not familiar with the love switch but I am a refrigeration tech. I would not replace the fan in the cooler side I would replace the t-stat on the cooler it usually opens a little window between the cooler and freezer sides. You want your control to open that window on a demand for cooling. I don't know exactly what your refrigerator looks like but you should see 2 different t stats one for the cooler and one for the freezer replace those with your control.

Here are a couple pics of the side by side. One from the outside and one of the top of the freezer side. There is also a picture from the fridge side showing the mechanical device controlling the amount of cold air to enter the fridge side.

image-559845007.jpg

image-1111593879.jpg

image-3382464703.jpg

For anyone working on a similar build, I ran the gas line through the same hole the water line came into the freezer. With a rubber grommet, or if you're like me and make your own by cutting the old rubber water plug to just smaller than your gas line and forcing it through, it's a tight fit. No drilling required

Back