Dry Hop Tube Screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipUSMC

Reaction score
I bought a hop screen a while back from a guy on EBay who makes drain and oil screens and recently got into hop screens (see links below). I like the hop screen, he can make 300 or 400 micron thickness (someone else reviewed them here on HBT). Anyway, I hate the mess and wort/beer loss as my trub nearly doubles in size when I rack after dryhopping. I was sick of dry hop bags expanding and I'm not sure I'm getting very good hop utilization out of the bags anyway. They sink with pellet hops and once they expand they are a pain to remove. With whole hops they float, but bloat badly. I asked if he could make a thin screen to use in a carboy for dry-hopping. He asked me the specs and within a few days he made one and sent it to me. For dry hopping, clean up and sanitization this thing is great!

I took a pic of mine (it's the thing in the middle). Anyhow it works good with pellet hops, too small to use full hops very well. Welded on one side and the seam and a rubber stopper to seal the open side. Slides in and out of the carboy. Easy to clean and since the screen is rigid as opposed to the bags I feel like I'm getting better exposure to the hops.

-Arbor Fabricating LLC here are his screens:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/chads454/m.html?item=181002325849&ViewItem=&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

IMG_20130303_165307.jpg

Had a few questions sent to me which I should answered in my first message. The dimensions are 24" X 1" and the cost I'm not sure of, he sent me a prototype and I need to send him feedback. I am guessing like $25 based on his other stuff.

Back