Tightening ferrules

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powermd

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Very simple question here, but I couldn't find it already answered in a search.

I have a dip tube and ferrule from bargain fittings.com and I can't seem to get it to tighten well around the dip tube. I've tried it with and without teflon tape on the 1/2" NPT I'm securing it to. I can get it to the point where it feels reasonably secure, but if you force it, the tube will rotate. Worse, it draws air when emptying my kettle, making it pointless to have a dip tube.

The ferrule came with two steel bushing compression inserts. I've tried it with or without those in various configurations (for completeness).

Without going to soldering or welding, do you have any suggestions?

How about using one or two small silicone o-rings instead of the ferrule?

Cheers!

This. The steel ferrules are designed to swage into place permanently. To do this, you need to tighten to finger tight, then put on another 1.25 turns with a wrench. However, if you do this, the ferrules will bite into and deform the tubing. One of the two ferrule pieces will be captive, so this is a permanent installation.

On my dip tube, I have replaced the ferrules with two stacked silicone o-rings. This makes a leak-free connection that can be broken down for cleaning, etc.

Alternatively, you can order a plastic ferrule that works similarly to the o-rings technique (it is not a permanent installation either).

Ahh... thank you for the clarification on the permanence of the connection.

I will try the o-ring solution you guys suggested.

This. The steel ferrules are designed to swage into place permanently. To do this, you need to tighten to finger tight, then put on another 1.25 turns with a wrench. However, if you do this, the ferrules will bite into and deform the tubing. One of the two ferrule pieces will be captive, so this is a permanent installation.

On my dip tube, I have replaced the ferrules with two stacked silicone o-rings. This makes a leak-free connection that can be broken down for cleaning, etc.

Alternatively, you can order a plastic ferrule that works similarly to the o-rings technique (it is not a permanent installation either).

I don't think there is anything wrong with the permanent fixture. As mentioned earlier bring it to finger tight and then give it 1.25 turns. Once you have the ferrules swaged in. Loosen the nut and rotate the tube to make it point where you want it to. Hold on to the tube and bring the nut back to snug (should not require effort) and you are set.

YES...

I just put a new one on my Sight Glass because it snapped off.

They tighten when installed.

In my case as I turned the wrench the ferrele is shoved against the NUT and the fitting and crimped down on the tube.

I then disassembeled to check it and it is as tight as a drum...

I could not find a Stainless Steel one (had to order it and wait ) sod used Brass that a plumbing supply house gave me... nice guys I owe them beer

Latest posts

Back