Krausen/foam after 12 days, should I wait.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavywalker

Reaction score
I was planning on starting cold crashing tomorrow, there is still a layer of krausen/foam on the top of the beer. I used WLP001 and fermented at around 68* for a week then allowed it to warm up to room temp over the last week.

Should I wait until all the Krausen falls before dry hopping and cold crashing? I cannot get a SG reading because my wine thief broke while washing it. The fermentation seems to have slowed down a lot over the last few days.

I was planning on starting cold crashing tomorrow, there is still a layer of krausen/foam on the top of the beer. I used WLP001 and fermented at around 68* for a week then allowed it to warm up to room temp over the last week.

Should I wait until all the Krausen falls before dry hopping and cold crashing? I cannot get a SG reading because my wine thief broke while washing it. The fermentation seems to have slowed down a lot over the last few days.

What was the recipe/ style/ OG? If you still see krausen I would let it ride. There is no problem letting it go for 3 to 4 weeks.

Recipe was an extract IPA

7LBS Amber DME
1LB Crystal 40

Hops were Warrior, Simcoe, and Cascade.

Yeast was WLP001, with a 1.75L starter.

OG was 1.061

I came home from work tonight and the foam has dropped from around an inch to about 1/4", and the movement of the sediment in the beer is almost stagnant. I am thinking by tomorrow the krausen will be gone at this rate.

But I guess the bottom line is that as long as there is krausen then I should just leave it alone and let the yeast do their thing, right?

Yep, and then leave it for at least another week, two is better. The yeast are still working even after signs of active fermentation--such as airlock bubbles and krausen--have stopped. They need time to clean up after the party!

Be patient...and be prepared. With proper sanitation, you can use all sorts of stuff to get a sample to test the gravity. I have used just a plastic cup to get samples from my bucket before. A cup might be hard if you're using a carboy for primary. If so, got any tubing laying around? I bet you do. Sanitize...stick it in and put your thumb over the end and pull it out....low budget wine thief.

Back