I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went ahead with the cheese experiment.

I made 1 cup of citric acid solution with 1 tbs of citric acid. Then heated 1 gallon of skim milk to 140f. Then added the acid solution. Got a nice coagulation going. The whey turned yellowish. Then I brought it up to 170f. I think that was a mistake. Around 160-165f the whey clouded up again, so I'm thinking I lost a lot of proteins to the whey again. I poured the whey through a colander to extract the curd, then discarded the whey. The final cheese tastes good, but it failed to achieve the kind of stretchy layers you get from mozzarella. It is semi-sticky. The yield was also somewhat low. I yielded .72 lbs from 1 gallon of skim milk. With a fairly high protein extraction, I was expecting between .85 and .90.

Clearly this process needs some more refinement, but it does work. To me, it's much easier then the other methods for making mozzarella I've seen. I should trust my instincts more I suppose. I knew when the vast majority of the proteins had coagulated and it should have been pulled from the heat. I just thought I would listen to my head and run up the temp to mozzarella stretching temps... Turns out I mis-remembered the temps, you only need to hit 135 to get mozzarella to stretch.

Next time I'll bring the milk up to 140f add the acid solution, and hold the temp there while the proteins coagulate. I don't think I actually needed to raise the temp like I did with this batch, and the last one. I think I just needed to wait a few minutes and stir gently to get the proteins to stick together.

Hmm, my bed frame has been squeaking. At first I thought I had squirrels, but I just tightened all the bolts and it stopped.

Everyone need to run their virus program. I have had the flu for the last 3 days and typing in the forum. Flu is a virus right hehe. I think I must be getting better though since I have put off finishing my last will and testament.

I thought I felt good enough to work on some saws yesterday and got through 2 of them before I called it. Sigh 4 more to go before I can do any more large jobs like the car lot was.

Next big job will only be 3 or 4 cord of wood but it is in town and we will have to close a road down to fall the trees. I am really looking forward to that job simply because it is going to be more technical falling instead of just knocking trees down to get them down.

Too bad you don't live closer, v-man, I definitely trust you to take down my trees. The tree guys are here and yeah, they have enough room, said I don't have to clean up anymore of the yard. I thought for sure my back would be messed up again today but it's fine.

Dang, I want to brew today. I really want to make some "ginger ale" soon. A pale ale with ginger root. I'm really getting into the herbal beer thing. Beers for all that ail you. Different healing properties in each brew. The oregano beer is incredible. Can't believe how quickly it fermented and cleared up. Had to pitch more yeast after a couple days, so it had a total 5 days of fermenting then the yeast dropped out like lead, again. First load of yeast dropped out after 3 days, then second pitch went 2 days before dying out rapidly.

Geez, these guys were cutting up the wood in the yard, they don't have to do that!! Just drop the trees, we'll get the rest! I stopped them from doing that. And anyway, they weren't cutting in the right length needed to fit in our woodburning stove inside. We use that for heat in the winter and to cook/bake. I have even brewed beer on it. Told them just get the other trees down, don't worry about cutting it up once on the ground. Hubby not here, he went to his shop so I am hoping I am telling them the right trees to fall. But they pretty much know by looking, the ones hanging over the house. Anything threatening needs to go. The chickens on the porch are scared. Because, well, they are chickens.

I would help you if I was there Bobbi for sure. Weird how most folks will pay to have a tree removed and have all the wood hauled off as well. The guy cutting the tree makes money on both ends that way.

As nice as having a house in the shade of a tree I am thinking I would never do it.

I would help you if I was there Bobbi for sure. Weird how most folks will pay to have a tree removed and have all the wood hauled off as well. The guy cutting the tree makes money on both ends that way.

As nice as having a house in the shade of a tree I am thinking I would never do it.

It's going to be hot in here this summer without the trees, but we have central AC, also heat but rarely use it. A whole new view when sitting on the front porch. One of the tree guys asked did I lift weights when I was carrying a few more things out of their way, just in case. He said I looked way too scrawny to be able to lift that. Then he noticed, you got bare feet!! I gave them some potted herbs and green beans. Tomorrow, I will give them some beer. Never underestimate a skinny country girl. Sure, I lift weights, grain is heavy when wet. Also finished unloading the trailer of manure into my compost pile. Cleaned out the chicken brooders, dumped their crap. Lift weights? Not on purpose, but I sure lift plenty of "weights".

Hmm, yummy yum. Home made bread. This loaf was baked on a cookie sheet so it doesn't have so much crust. Not much better then fresh baked bread.

Hmm, yummy yum. Home made bread. This loaf was baked on a cookie sheet so it doesn't have so much crust. Not much better then fresh baked bread.

I like making bread too. I do the typical spent grain in my bread and pizza crust. You're right! Nothing beats a hot piece of fresh baked bread right out of the oven with a big ol' slab of butter on it!

Is it like against the law for a company to ship you a knife that is actually sharp or something? I got a knife shipped to me, and I swear it's just been beveled at like a 45 degree angle. I've been at it for about 20 minutes with my courses stone, and I still don't have a real edge on it yet.

Hello late nite crew. Hope all is well with the chickens and cheeze and woodcutting. Dan, you out there somewhere?

A little Roberta Flack for your late nite soundtrack. I've been a fan for a long time. I remember a long time ago my mom taking me and my brothers to a pizza place somewhere near Van Nuys (CA). They had those little juke boxes at each table, you just swung the knob to the song you wanted and hit play an and off it went. I remember my mom choosing this song. She's part of the Sea of Cortez in Mexico now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking I might pull a Dan and go off the forum for a little while.. Membership is about to expire so it's a good time to do it, at least I won't have to pay for my absence. I've got way too much stuff going on right now, and not enough time to do it. You guys need to post more pics of your delicious bread, cheese, and crappy knives ;)

A little of everything, but I'm going for storable calorie crops mainly. Shelling beans(there are some great heirloom shelling beans out there, highly productive and a good pastime for the kids), potatoes(which I just leave in the ground, they store great and you can dig them up all winter), and winter squash. Also tons of tomatoes for canning and a zillion peppers. And I'm going to use my old garden plot for berries. I thought about doing a little plot of barley, but then I thought "hell no". Just read the 100% homegrown thread to see how much work that is, all for a sack of 2-row.

Careful where you plant your berries. Not sure what you're planting, but cane fruit aren't supposed to be anywhere you've had tomatoes. Planted over an acre last year. Might do about 1/10 of one this year. :D If we wait til the first frost, canning tomatoes are $8/25 at a farm nearby and it's much better canning weather by then. Good for you putting the kids to work. If they aren't agricultural labor, they seem pretty useless.

I'm thinking I might pull a Dan and go off the forum for a little while.. Membership is about to expire so it's a good time to do it, at least I won't have to pay for my absence. I've got way too much stuff going on right now, and not enough time to do it. You guys need to post more pics of your delicious bread, cheese, and crappy knives ;)
We would miss you.

DSC_0012.jpg

Leadgolem said:
We would miss you.

I'll miss everyone too. I've got this massive garden thing going, I'm trying to quit my job, I've got at least a dozen minor home improvements to make, and my wife and kids are expecting some of my time too for some reason. I'll be back though. I need a month to catch up on life. The bread looks great.

I'll miss everyone too. I've got this massive garden thing going, I'm trying to quit my job, I've got at least a dozen minor home improvements to make, and my wife and kids are expecting some of my time too for some reason. I'll be back though. I need a month to catch up on life. The bread looks great.
Sounds like you need to catch your breath. You will be welcome whenever you come back.

The bread is uber tasty. I like not having all the crust you get when you bake in a loaf pan. :D

lschiavo said:
BB, I tried quitting HBT. Couldn't do it. I at least had to lurk.

Here is a nice groovy piano tune. FNM is one of my favorites.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpUKVfU3A2E&feature=player_detailpage

Ha! That's what I was thinking too. That's what Dan was probably afraid of too, so he had himself banned :ban: hopefully I won't have to go that route, but I may. The drunk nights are going to be the hardest. I love to catch a buzz and cause a little trouble on here.

I can relate to all of that. Except, I have my own business that I cannot quit and nobody will fire me. Good luck catching up. It does feel good when you are.

If you do it BB, you'll be missed. At least let us know when you'll be back. Have a good time, but remember, there is danger, in the summer moon above.

Last edited by a moderator:
but remember, there is danger, in the summer moon above.

Yes, you have to worry about moon burn. Like a sun burn, but worse.

All the lifting caught up to me, not my back that hurts, arms, shoulders, hurts to even poke my arm. Back maybe hurts a little but stomach muscles sore too. Making me feel almost sick. Overdid it. F*** going to the gym. Get out and do some real work. Pain means something, not sure what, but it hurts. Going to try drinking a beer, might be really good after my liver cleanse thing.

passedpawn said:
If you do it BB, you'll be missed. At least let us know when you'll be back. Have a good time, but remember, there is danger, in the summer moon above.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgCt-F22Ex0

You really know your tunes PP.. 90 degrees here today, and I think summer has hot early. I think a month is a good number. The forum is too useful to me as a resource and detachment aid to ever consider leaving long term, but I'm eager to see how I will spend my newly won time.

Hmm, my latest batch of cider took off like a missile. 3 bubbles per second, as near as I can count, on the air lock. :D

Hmm, to open that bottle of fermented real maple syrup or another bottle of cider. The maple syrup was pretty bad when I bottled it...

Ok, fermented real maple syrup is almost as gross after four months in the bottle as it was when I bottled it.

maplewinecheesebread.JPG

I switched to a really fantastic black cherry wine, 6.8%. I have no notes for this wine...../as;ldks'flk;wdv[wlG;WEL[WLgmwnrgl WN''LRKNG'LN I always take notes, what was my problem that time? Now I've got a bottle and 2/3 of a fantastic wine that I've only got a vague idea on how to duplicate. Notes, notes, notes, notes, always take notes.

EDIT: I may be forced to call upon the ancient Egyptian god of frustration.
Daffy-Duck-daffy-duck-12857012-1600-1200.gif

Back