No head or carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Napes

Reaction score
Bottled a DFH 90-min clone 10 days ago. This is only my second brew. Priming sugar was 1/2 cup corn sugar to 4 gallons. Chilled some bottles last night, and first one was flat with no head. I'm going to assume that it's too early. My question: can I put the remaining bottles at room temperature again and continue carbonation? Or did the chill permanently stop carbonation? Thanks!

warm them back up, maybe turn them over gently a few times after they've re-warmed up.

Yes it can take 3+ weeks for some beer to carb...and it needs to be around 70 degrees. The cooler it is, the longer it takes. Also, when you DO go to chill after a while, chill for 48 hours. This helps a lot.

Thanks Tre9er! I put the bottles back in my 72 degree closet.

warm them back up, maybe turn them over gently a few times after they've re-warmed up.

Yes it can take 3+ weeks for some beer to carb...and it needs to be around 70 degrees. The cooler it is, the longer it takes. Also, when you DO go to chill after a while, chill for 48 hours. This helps a lot.

I just brewed a 90 min clone and bottled it. Took mine 4 weeks to carb properly. I keep em at 68-70. Great beer

As stated - warm them to 70-72 and try again in a week or so. One question I have it what was your process for adding the priming sugar? Did you dissolve it into 2 cups of water and mix it completely into your brew?

Other question is where did you come up with a half a cup? Most calculators give a weight, I'm thinking you may have under primed as well.

Most kit instructions (say from Northern Brewer) call for 2/3 cup of priming sugar dissolved in 16oz of water. I typically use 4oz of priming sugar in 2 cups of water, heated to put the sugar into solution then cooled to room temp.

I then add some to the bottom of my bottling bucket and rack onto it and the rest after half has been racked. Once my bottling bucket is full I give it a gentle swirl.

Having the proper amount of priming sugar is one thing and thoroughly blending it with your beer is just as important and it will show as inconsistency in carbonation from bottle to bottle. To much in one bottle can cause other issues such as gushers and bottle bombs.

This past spring/summer I built myself a keezer and now keg my beer so it carbs the same everytime.;)

I still bottle the occasional batch when it needs to travel or be given as gifts.

This past spring/summer I built myself a keezer and now keg my beer so it carbs the same everytime.;)

I still bottle the occasional batch when it needs to travel or be given as gifts.

You know you can bottle off of a keg with your racking cane, right? :D But really, I don't think kegging is the solution for the OP atm, more than 10 days however, is.

You know you can bottle off of a keg with your racking cane, right? :D But really, I don't think kegging is the solution for the OP atm, more than 10 days however, is.

I've not tried bottling off of a keg with my racking cane, but I have taken myself a growler full or two to a byob party.:p

But yes you are correct about the more than 10 days. If given the same amount of time more and the same results re-priming may be needed.

take an old piece of racking cane, ideally, cut an angle on the bottom, throw a #2 (I believe) drilled stopper on it, shove it down so the cane hits the bottom of the bottle. Crank serving down to 1PSI or so, then bleed the keg. Now shove the cane into the picnic tap and fill. Cap on foam.

Yes, I dissolved the sugar into two cups of water. I got 1/2 cup from a priming sugar calculator on Northern Brewer. I poured the priming sugar into the bottom of the bottling bucket before I racked the beer. I too was worried that I didn't add enough sugar, but the last batch I overcarbonated so I trusted the calculator. The calculator suggested 1/2 cup for 4 gallons, which is what I had.

Other question is where did you come up with a half a cup? Most calculators give a weight, I'm thinking you may have under primed as well.

Yes, I dissolved the sugar into two cups of water. I got 1/2 cup from a priming sugar calculator on Northern Brewer. I poured the priming sugar into the bottom of the bottling bucket before I racked the beer. I too was worried that I didn't add enough sugar, but the last batch I overcarbonated so I trusted the calculator. The calculator suggested 1/2 cup for 4 gallons, which is what I had.

I couldn't find it, not to say it's not there. But going by weight is definitely more accurate and will also make a difference down the road if you decide to change the sugar you are using. They have different densities which will vary the amount in the 1/2 cup, so the same volume will not always be the same total amount need to properly carb. All that being said, it just may take longer for them to carb up. If you added no additional sugar, they would eventually carb, just a few months down the road.

twistr25 said:
I couldn't find it, not to say it's not there. But going by weight is definitely more accurate and will also make a difference down the road if you decide to change the sugar you are using. They have different densities which will vary the amount in the 1/2 cup, so the same volume will not always be the same total amount need to properly carb. All that being said, it just may take longer for them to carb up. If you added no additional sugar, they would eventually carb, just a few months down the road.

Here's the link: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Thanks for your help.

Back