Coolest can ever?.....arggggggg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitehause

Reaction score
Quick rant,

Was watchin the game and just saw an add where Ice-Cube is hooked up to medical leds trying to be more "Chill" than a Coors light can....W....T....F.

I get the marketing tactic, but really...."our can is better than yours"? Put as much money and research in to your beer, and you won't need to worry about your freakin can.

Rant off.......Thank you.

Quick rant,

Was watchin the game and just saw an add where Ice-Cube is hooked up to medical leds trying to be more "Chill" than a Coors light can....W....T....F.

I get the marketing tactic, but really...."our can is better than yours"? Put as much money and research in to your beer, and you won't need to worry about your freakin can.

Rant off.......Thank you.

I'm pretty sure they put more money and research into their beer than any craft brewer out there.

The problem is that while they brew the light lager style very, VERY well, it's a saturated market with little room for creativity, and any deviation too far from the "light beer" norm will lose the generic everybody's-happy mass appeal they need. So their only edge is their marketing.

Nothing beats the bowtie can. Nothing**

(**Until miller comes out with a vortex can!)

True.....I guess I just had a problem with an actual person trying to be better than a can.

But yea, it has become the " can/bottle " wars. Vortex, platinum blue, bow tie, changing when the beer is cold, extra hole to pop, 2 "pour" channels....just kills me.

Anyone remembe Mickeys big mouth? Hardest beer to open without spilling EVER.

Qhrumphf said:
I'm pretty sure they put more money and research into their beer than any craft brewer out there.

The problem is that while they brew the light lager style very, VERY well, it's a saturated market with little room for creativity, and any deviation too far from the "light beer" norm will lose the generic everybody's-happy mass appeal they need. So their only edge is their marketing.

Well put. It comes down to business. It is still laughable tho, but maybe we should be focused on the stupidity of the audience these brewers are trying to appease with their can shapes and cold brewed gimmicks...

this. they aren't trying to steal craft drinkers. they're trying to steal the other Light American Lager drinkers. and they seem to like commercials.

and I recall seeing the color change thing when I was in Newcastle England on the Newcastle bottles & pint/half pint glasses. when the star changed color, it was the right temp to drink. that was about a decade ago.

I understand why they do it, it just annoys the hell out of me.

I also know they spend a ton of money, but their mainstay beers have been brewed the same way for years.

I guess I just miss the "our beer is better than yours" , insted of the our can/bottle is better than yours.

Money, money, money. It used to be about the beer. Back in the day. The rise to be bigger meant better. We all have, had, will or is falling for a gimmick. Sucks. Glad I don't have cable.

I would debate that. Weather you like it, or think it tastes like swill (I will vote for swill :) ) it has been the same recipe to make that beer for ages.
I am guessing the don't need to spend too much money in researching their beer. They have the recipe and process locked in.

It is true they are chasing other light BMC drinkers and need to try to differentiate their product some how.

It ultimately sucks for the consumer. I live in Canada where a 24 will run you between $36-$40 for a 24 of Coors or Molson and I read one time that around $5 of each case goes towards advertising. So you pick the beer you like and then pay an extra $5 a case for the company to try to sway drinkers from other brands.:(

I would debate that. Weather you like it, or think it tastes like swill (I will vote for swill :) ) it has been the same recipe to make that beer for ages.
I am guessing the don't need to spend too much money in researching their beer. They have the recipe and process locked in.

It is true they are chasing other light BMC drinkers and need to try to differentiate their product some how.

It ultimately sucks for the consumer. I live in Canada where a 24 will run you between $36-$40 for a 24 of Coors or Molson and I read one time that around $5 of each case goes towards advertising. So you pick the beer you like and then pay an extra $5 a case for the company to try to sway drinkers from other brands.:(
see, there's the problem. you have Maudite but know the price of Coors.:p

see, there's the problem. you have Maudite but know the price of Coors.:p

I only know because of the $5 a case partially goes to commercials telling me I can get a whole $2 the usual rip off price.

But is funny you mention the Maudite. I have never seen it in Ontario where I live, but am doing a road trip to PEI with my family in the summer and have just started to research what beers I can get en route, with Quebec being one of my stops. It looks like Maudite will be the first on my shopping list! :mug:

It's not my preferred style, but it has its place.

However, it's not just recipe that we're talking about. The lab work, the QC, and the lengths they go through to achieve consistency are unparalleled anywhere else in the brewing industry.

It's not my preferred style, but it has its place.

However, it's not just recipe that we're talking about. The lab work, the QC, and the lengths they go through to achieve consistency are unparalleled anywhere else in the brewing industry.

Agreed, but they are all pretty much constant. They already have the recipe and process locked down to achieve the consistency. So I don't think a ton more money has to go into it. I am sure big money was spent at the start to get their beer to this point but now more likely goes to gimmicky cans and profit then actually goes towards the beer.

Agreed, but they are all pretty much constant. They already have the recipe and process locked down to achieve the consistency. So I don't think a ton more money has to go into it. I am sure big money was spent at the start to get their beer to this point but now more likely goes to gimmicky cans and profit then actually goes towards the beer.

Right, but it's not "oh we have the process down so we don't need to test any more".

While I'm sure the variance in between batches is smaller than craft brewers, so is their margin for error. And where a craft brewer may allow a 1 or even 2 degree SRM difference between batches (I'm not a pro brewer, so that's pulled out of my a$$), the big guys would only allow .1 SRM. Same goes for the gravity/Plato, IBUs, etc. Just like any good craft brewer has a lab set up and is routinely testing their own product to ensure quality, it's even more so for the big guys.

Right, but it's not "oh we have the process down so we don't need to test any more".

While I'm sure the variance in between batches is smaller than craft brewers, so is their margin for error. And where a craft brewer may allow a 1 or even 2 degree SRM difference between batches (I'm not a pro brewer, so that's pulled out of my a$$), the big guys would only allow .1 SRM. Same goes for the gravity/Plato, IBUs, etc. Just like any good craft brewer has a lab set up and is routinely testing their own product to ensure quality, it's even more so for the big guys.
that's exactly it right there. they want exactly the same thing every single time. that's what's expected of them. as I understand, that's the same reason for a blend of hops (tiny amount of each) in case one falls short the others mask what's missing. I could be very wrong on that. can't remember if I read that on a forum or heard it somewhere, as I have a tendency to drink a little.

that's exactly it right there. they want exactly the same thing every single time. that's what's expected of them. as I understand, that's the same reason for a blend of hops (tiny amount of each) in case one falls short the others mask what's missing. I could be very wrong on that. can't remember if I read that on a forum or heard it somewhere, as I have a tendency to drink a little.

It may be splitting hairs, but I am saying they spend on QC, but they are not re-inventing the wheel every year (or hardly ever?). They have a process, they obviously control the quality tightly but still do not invent anything new. A smaller brewer on the other hand must pay attention to quality, but must also spend on inventing his/her wheel and hope to get someone to buy it. It goes without saying the is no comparison in absolute dollar, but percentage wise I don't think the big boys put too much into RD of the beer itself because as you stated their customers don't want anything new, they want the same old.

Cheers!

Back