Fruit Beer Wild Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow will be a week on the strawberries but my airlock is still going strong. Should I let it go till it slows or go to tertiary?

fumanbrew said:
Tomorrow will be a week on the strawberries but my airlock is still going strong. Should I let it go till it slows or go to tertiary?

Have you taken a gravity reading? Airlock bubbles is not a sign of fermentation.

Have you taken a gravity reading? Airlock bubbles is not a sign of fermentation.

This was secondary. I racked after it was at 1.011 for 3days and that was after 3 weeks. I just want to make sure I'm not jumping the gun and wasti g good strawberry flavor. A week is usually enough for you?

OK. So fermentation is complete. I'm sure the berries and beer are just putting off some C02. A week on berries is plenty is plenty. I don't leave mine more than 7-8 days.

Alright Ginger... Here's how I modified your brew..

8 lbs 2-row
1 lb flaked corn
.5 lb white wheat
.25 lb carapils

I kept the hops the same. We'll see how it turns out! Racking onto the strawberries tomorrow!!

Nice. Mine is in the keg carbing. I pulled a small sample the other day just to see, and it's completely pink. I mean it looks like "grapefruit juice"pink. I've never had one come out this way. Interesting. I did eliminate a step thiugh so that could be the reason. Instead of racking to terrtiary, i racked straight to the keg. Should be ready to drink any day now so we'll see how it ages.

Lol.. pink beer!! Hmmmm... Green beer for St. Patrick's day, pink beer for... Um, Valentine's day? You may be on to something here. :)

Bluelinebrewer said:
Lol.. pink beer!! Hmmmm... Green beer for St. Patrick's day, pink beer for... Um, Valentine's day? You may be on to something here. :)

Ha that will be my excuse. Valentines beer. Thanks! Ha. I will post a pic when i pull a pint.

Oh boy... I racked to strawberries today, and the sample I had was AMAZING!!! I think I may have created some decent beer!! :)

I meant to attach this photo in my other post.. heres some tasty strawberries soaking!

ForumRunner_20130417_111546.jpg

Nice! smells good too doesnt it!

image-2208727663.jpg

And heres the one i've been meaning to post. This is the half gallon i didnt put in the keg. I hope to bottle this for you in the next week or so. Look how pink it is!

Well Blue, we may have a problem. I am starting to think that there was something "added" to these strawberries that has made it turn so pink. I have been unable to taste it because i had my wisdom teeth taken out recently, hopefully monday or tuesday i can try it. I took a small sample the other day when checkig carbonation and it had a weird flavor. I chalked it up to the funky taste in my mouth from the meds. I had a friend try it tonight and he said it tasted like strawberry flavored water. Not like beer at all. Im wondering if the cheap berries had more than just color added to them and they created some off flavors? The base beer was great before adding the berries, so whatever has happened is due to the berries. Guess we'll see soon.

Well Blue, we may have a problem. I am starting to think that there was something "added" to these strawberries that has made it turn so pink. I have been unable to taste it because i had my wisdom teeth taken out recently, hopefully monday or tuesday i can try it. I took a small sample the other day when checkig carbonation and it had a weird flavor. I chalked it up to the funky taste in my mouth from the meds. I had a friend try it tonight and he said it tasted like strawberry flavored water. Not like beer at all. Im wondering if the cheap berries had more than just color added to them and they created some off flavors? The base beer was great before adding the berries, so whatever has happened is due to the berries. Guess we'll see soon.

Nooooooooooo!!!!! If that's the case, then were double screwed!! Cuz I used Great Value strawberries too!! :/

Bluelinebrewer said:
Nooooooooooo!!!!! If that's the case, then were double screwed!! Cuz I used Great Value strawberries too!! :/

You may be ok. Wife told me she got them at Kroger, not Wal Mart, sorhe werent Great Value but some other off brand. I'm going to give it a few weeks before i consider dumping it and wont really know anything until i can taste it, but its not looking promising. :(

You may be ok. Wife told me she got them at Kroger, not Wal Mart, sorhe werent Great Value but some other off brand. I'm going to give it a few weeks before i consider dumping it and wont really know anything until i can taste it, but its not looking promising. :(

Whew... ok, fingers are still crossed!! Ill give mine a taste on Monday when I transfer and let ya know how it goes!

Bluelinebrewer said:
Whew... ok, fingers are still crossed!! Ill give mine a taste on Monday when I transfer and let ya know how it goes!

Please do. I may be counting on you to send some some so i'll have t! Bwahaha if it turns out bad, i will just add it to the list of upcoming brews again. It would be 3 brews from now, so not too bad. I'm brewing my black ipa tomorrow, my pecan porter in 2 weeks and then i can do the strawberry again.

Oh, I think I can help ya out!! :) Ya had me worried though.. so I went down and checked on mine. It looked a little funny on top, but I took a whiff and got a nice big snoot full of CO2!! Burned the $hit outta my nose!! lol. So, I'll put ya down for a 12 pack... :D

So i had another brewer friend try it today. He said it tasted "spritzer-y". Almost like a wine cooler. His wife said "this would be the perfect summer drink". So i'm going to let it age awhile and see what happens.

So i had another brewer friend try it today. He said it tasted "spritzer-y". Almost like a wine cooler. His wife said "this would be the perfect summer drink". So i'm going to let it age awhile and see what happens.

I think it'll be ok. I definitely wouldnt dump it! Did you ever have a chance to look on the strawberry label and see of there was any additives? I never even thought to look on my label... :/

No typo. I have found my efficiency is better if i mash in with 2-2.25 gal per lb. then do smaller sparges. So a typical brew for me is 5-6 gal strike wTer with two 2-2.5 gal sparges. My efficiency runs between 83 and 83%.

i am going to brew this with belma instead of cascade. i have used it before and brings a real strawberry aroma. i will let ya know how it goes

Racked off the strawberries tonight. Mine isn't anywhere near as pink as yours! But it tastes and smells amazing!!

ForumRunner_20130422_234826.png

Hey Ginger, took a little sample the other night for a gravity reading.. this stuff, it's gonna be amazing!!! Took a little sip out of the hydro jar and then convinced SWMBO to take a sip (she is a hardcore BMC girl, won't drink anything else)... she finished the ENTIRE sample from the hyrdo jar! She said it's the best one I've ever done, and it's not even finished yet!! lol I can't wait to get this stuff bottled and carbed!!

Yeah, strawberry blonde is a hard one to keep in the fridge!! lol. I modified it a bit, not really sure how close it is to the extract version or the version you posted, I'll let you be the judge of that! :D It had a pretty good tart flavor up front, which I kind of liked, so we'll see how the final version turns out!

Hey Blue, during today's marathon beer day, I finally sampled this. It's turning out to be pretty good. It is still pretty tart with a ton of strawberry flavor, but with age it is getting really good. At least now I know not to skip the terrtiary aging process and won't do that again! You may get some of this afterall!

Hey Blue, during today's marathon beer day, I finally sampled this. It's turning out to be pretty good. It is still pretty tart with a ton of strawberry flavor, but with age it is getting really good. At least now I know not to skip the terrtiary aging process and won't do that again! You may get some of this afterall!

Nice!! So its safe to uncross my fingers?? :D

Question: What kind of fermenter are you using for 6.5gal? My big glass carboy is 6.5gal, which I think was the biggest my LHBS carried...and I don't think would be big enough for this. My better bottle fermenters are all 6gal. Did you just split into 2 fermenters or can you buy a bigger carboy somewhere?

Back