Wooden 3 tier, single 4x4 post for support?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
Looking to build a gravity fed 3 tier from wood because strut is expensive. My plan was to use a 4x4 or 2 2x4 as the center post and branch either 2x4s or angle iron to support the hlt and melt. The keggle would sit on my existing burner on the ground. Would a 4x4 be enough? Maybe a 4x6 or 6x6? How about the support arms? I'm leaning towards angle iron with heavy duty lag bolts or even long hex bolts with washers and nuts to attach the arms to the center post. Then a simple plywood board attached to the arms to rest the pots on. I'd probably need a couple of support brackets to help.

I can't find too many pictures with this setup doing a Google search. Any input would be great.

Shwag on

Wow, yes. Amazing I've never seen that before and it's almost exactly as I described. Any more info on it?

Not my stand. I read your original post, and remembered seeing that one in the show us your brew stand thread. I've been thinking of doing a redesign on my own, so I was looking for ideas.

In your initial statement it sounds like you want to use wood for cost. If that is the case, consider something like this. Pots on this setup are 8gal each. Raise it up a foot and you could have the boil kettle on the ground.

Bill of materials for stand alone --> All can be had from woMenards or bLowes or equivalent big box store
2"x6" - 2x 8ft boards = $6
2"x4" - 1x 8ft board = $3
2x wood round bar stool tops = $20
4x 90 deg brackets to support the round table tops = $20
Box of 2.5" deck screws = $5
1x can of paint or stain = $5
1x set of adjustable feet to level stand if you move it around = $5

Ignore all of the other stuff shown unless you are also trying to automate.

3view.jpg

I love the creativity, and I'm speaking as a home renovator more than as a brewer here, but I have to say that design makes me nervous. Both general top-heavy-ness, and especially with the mash tun cantilevered out like that. Reducing the size of the center post compared to the linked pic would make it even more tenuous IMO. Mix in open flames and many gallons of boiling liquid, and I wouldn't want to work around something like that!
OP - if you can secure the center post to both the floor and the ceiling, I think you'd be in good shape as far as stability is concerned, and a 4x4 could be sufficient. Or could you can somehow rig both pot & cooler so they're supported between a pair of 4x4s, spaced a few feet apart?
If you stick with a single center post, and if you can't secure it to the ceiling, could you fashion something stiffer made from four @ 2x4s? They could be overlapped along their long edges, so you end up with a true 5" x 5" column with a hollow center. With sufficient glue & fasteners, it seems like this would be significantly stiffer than a single nominal 4x4, for a pretty similar price (since 2x4s are so much cheaper than 4x4s, and assuming you already have plenty of screws or nails).

Regardless, I'd definitely add angled support brackets under each "shelf", especially with a thinner center post.

Very cool idea, but be safe! :)

Spacing two 4x4 or similar apart and supporting the pots between them is a better idea I think. Something similar to the pictures above, just a taller. I could definitely bolt it to the concrete floor of my back patio where I brew. But a wide base seems sturdy enough. Not going the single mast route for sure, at least not with wood

This is what I ended up with. Most is left over lumber I had. Works like a champ, on wheels to roll around, and was cheap. I even painted it.

20171112_111856.jpg

20171112_111914.jpg

20171112_113327_HDR.jpg

20171112_134250.jpg

Nice whiteboard!

Def going to outfit my stand with wheels like yours. That is a nice touch.

It's awkward to move without them. Cheapo home depot wheels.

I'm in the planning stages of adding 3 switch outlets so I can turn the pumps and the heating stick on and off without unplugging and plugging them in. Something hard fastened to the stand itself

I use a heat stick wired through a foot switch to stir my mash. Want to bring temp up a bit? Just step on the peddle and stir.

Nice build. Bang, there go my plans. This is better.

My heat stick is wired into a temp controller. I need to clean up all the extension cords between it and the 2 pumps. Consolidate them into one outlet bar

Back