What causes high final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackdirt_cowboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been brewing for a little over a year and I’ve ran into my first problem I can’t seem to figure out on my own. I brewed an all grain Oktoberfest a couple of weeks ago. Original gravity was 1.057 and brewers friend estimated final gravity at 1.012.

I pitched a 4 liter starter, decanted, of wyeast 2633 oktoberfest blend yeast and fermented at 48°. After 8 days, gravity was at 1.025, and fermentation was pretty active. I set the temp controller to let the beer free rise to 62° for a diacetyl rest. It took 24 hours to come up to temp, and fermentation just stopped. Blowoff activity stopped, and the Krausen fell. I took a sample and measured final gravity of 1.022 with my refractometer, after alcohol correction. I verified this with a calibrated hydrometer. I have never had a fermentation abruptly end like this an I’m trying to figure out what caused it.

My mash temp was 154°. I do full volume BIAB. I mashed in and temp was 156°. I always keep a little water back just or this reason. I added the rest of the cool water and brought the temp down to 152°. I fired the burner and slowly brought temp back up to 154° while stirring. I mashed for 60 minutes and only lost 1 degree during the mash. My mash efficiency was 95% this batch, which is low for me as I’m usually 99%. The boil was uneventful. I chilled with my immersion chiller to 52° within 25 minutes, pitched the starter, and put the beer in my fermentation chamber.

I usually get attenuation in the 75-80% range and my FG is typically a couple points below what the software predicts. This batch, my apparent attenuation is only 61%. Can anyone give me some insight into why I’m 10 points high this time?

What yeast did you use and what is the attenuation range for that specific yeast? Is your thermometer accurate and calibrated? Maybe you mashed higher than you thought?

How many days was it at 62F? How do you know the fermentation stopped? I've had fermentations go on far longer than I had expected, without any visible signs, while the gravity continued to drop seemingly by magic. If I were you I'd leave it at 62F for a few weeks then retest. And next time brew your oktoberfest in march :) :)

Back