Water Conservation When Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is no secret that the single most prevalent ingredient in beer is water. But there is also an equal if not larger amount of water involved in the making of beer that does not become beer. This would be the water we use for cleaning, sanitizing, and cooling.
Like myself, there are many other home brewers who are enduring another of California’s infamous droughts. Virtually the entire state is suffering a serious decline of rainfall that has left many fertile areas unusually barren, many a lake all but dried up, and many electric vehicles unwashed. It's a serious issue and one that we, as home brewers living in the state, must be conscious of when making our favorite tasty beverage. With proper care, and a little bit more attention payed towards water conservation, we can have a successful brew day, and use up less water than you might use taking a shower in the morning. Speaking of that, you might as well forgo your morning shower on brew day… you’re most likely going to get dirty anyway.
Reused StarSan, spray nozzle, and scrub brush.

The Facts

Lets be honest here, beer is as much as 95% water. Brewing requires a great deal of cleaning and sanitation, and the majority of the products we use to clean and sanitize are water solutions. PBW recommends that you fill up your containers/kegs/fermenters and soak overnight. Star San also has their own set of recommendations that involve soaking, and then dumping and drying. On top of that, there are just certain things that you want to make sure get a good and proper cleaning. Maybe your mash paddle or tri-clamps and hoses.
By my calculations, one could easily use 50 gallons just cleaning their equipment before a brew day - for a 5 gallon batch! Do you soak your lauter tun, mash tun and brew kettle with PBW? That’s 20 gallons. Rinse them again to remove the PBW, lets say thats 5 gallons, and another soak with Star San makes another 20. Then you do the same with your fermenter and thats 6-10 gallons. Maybe you make a bath for your tools and connections. Another 2-3 gallons.
All of these things are unavoidable for a clean and sanitary environment, but maybe you can change up your process to save some water. Here are 5 ways you can save water, and in this drought every little bit helps. Besides, it will lighten your water bill, if even it's only a couple bucks.
Invest in an Eco-Spray Hose Nozzle.
Whether you use your kitchen sink or a yard hose, a spray nozzle can reduce your water usage from 4 water wasting gallons per minute down to 1.5 GPM or less when fully open. And, many spray nozzles have a lever action that will shut off the water unless you squeeze the trigger, thus saving water from being wasted while you are trying to keep the cat from jumping on the still hot Blichmann.
Don't Dump Your Chilling Water.
Many of us have plate chillers, counter-flows, or even coil chillers. That cold water is going to run opposite the direction of the wort, cooling it, then come out nice and toasty. Redirect that runoff water from the drain into a 5 gallon bucket, and use it to scrub your mash tun clean after the brew. That bucket full of water sitting there might serve as a reminder to clean your equipment before everything gets dry and crusted on.
Get Clever.
Conservation of water doesn't just mean not using water, but also offsetting what you do use. With just a little bit of effort you can also use that “spent” chilling water for areas outside of your brewery.
• Water your plants with it.
• Put it in the cat's or dog's water bowl.
• Wash your car with it.
• If it is the same source as your kitchen sink, use it to prepare your pastas, or for baking.
• Make Star San mix with it.
• Reuse it! I put a few gallons back into the freezer for making ice cubes to use the next time I brew, and need to cool my water down in my chilling tank.
My PH Tester making sure the StarSan is still effective.
Reuse Your Star San.
While we are trying to save water, it would be in vain if it meant the beer suffered. Your fermenting vessel, whether carboy or conical, most likely needs to have a good rinse with water, perhaps some scrubbing, another rinse and a full soak with Star San. You can't avoid the soak in this case, but how about instead of always making new batches of Star San, you reuse it? If you are using Star San correctly, it should be after a cleaning and rinsing. With proper cleaning procedure, there shouldn't be much sugar, grain, or yeast residue, and you can store that used Star San for later use. You just need either some pH test strips or a calibrated pH Meter. You are going to want to make sure that the pH of the Star San doesn't rise above 3.0, which is the maximum acceptable pH level to be an effective sanitizer.
Scrubbing clean the mash tub with a few cups of water. I’ll give it a light rinsing afterwards and a towel dry.
Not Everything Needs A Soak.
My last tip might be read as brewing sacrilege to some, but the truth is your kettles most likely do not need PBW and/or Star San soaks. When it comes to cleaning my mash tun and brew kettle, I will dump about one quart of water in the mash-tun, give it a good scrubbing, then dump/pump that water into my brew kettle, and use that same grimy water to scrub off the burnt on residue that is banjo-burner-shaped on the bottom of the kettle. If I need a deeper scrub, I might mix a bit of Bar Keepers Friend in there, but that's rare. I then use about another quart at a gentle rinse setting on the hose nozzle to rinse out both the kettles, and dry with a towel.

Personally, I don't think a soak is necessary if your kettle or mash tun has no inaccessible nooks or crannies. Furthermore, with stainless steel, if your equipment is properly passivated a good rinse and dry should suffice. Also, remember these steps are before the boil, which will kill most everything in your brew. For soaking things like connectors, funnels, and hoses, use a smaller 8 quart pot or plastic flower box. For added reassurance you can keep a 16 or 20 ounce spray bottle with Star San at the ready for a quick, light spray down and drying.
Hopefully these tips can help save some water in this desert wasteland of California. I brew 30-40 times a year, potentially saving 2000 gallons a year over my old ways. I’ve yet to have an infection, or have an off flavor that was because of cleaning or sanitation issues. If you’ve got any tips, I’d love to hear them!
water-conervation-F.jpg

Lots of good comments and pointers here. Since I am in Southern California, I too try to re-use as much water as possible.
On brew day, because the "cold" tap water is actually pretty warm, I buy a 20-lb. bag of ice from Costco for $2.30 and add it to the tap water in a 5-gallon bucket for use with my wort chiller and small garden pump. Once that process is done, I dump all of pumped water into my fountain, plants, trees, etc. Next time I will use some of the initial hot water to clean the brew kettle too!
I use the SS BrewBucket as my fermenter and yes, using 5-gallons of fresh water and PBW just to get the level up to the crud at the top seems wasteful, so next time, I'll add something to the bottom 1/2 or so to displace most of the water and end up using much less water & PBW. Does anyone happen to know if used PBW is OK to put on plants or grass?
I can make a 5-gallon batch of StarSan last almost a year as long as I mix with distilled water and make sure that the surfaces are very clean prior to sanitizing, then, back into the large Jerry can it goes. I test with pH strips every now and then, and even a year later, it's still clear and measures under 3.5.
FYI, I got my Jerry can from Winco for just $6.00!
http://selfreliantsisters.blogspot.com/2012/03/winco-bulk-storage-items-containers.html
Also, FWIW, I rarely soak anything completely in StarSan. I either spray it down or add a cup to the fermenter, install the lid, shake it around to evenly coat the inside and then dump it back into the Jerry can for reuse.

Thank you Matt for your insight.
While I certainly appreciate your input, not everyone may brew like you do. Furthermore, I've spent enough time with other Brewers to see certain habits of theirs and make notes accordingly. Had you written the article, perhaps you would have done so differently based on your experiences. Also, I wash after a brew day and before a brew day because I keep my equipment outside where it comes in contact with lots of dust. I don't wish to let the crud bake on post boil and sit for weeks. So, I wash it afterwards, and maybe a week or three later I will give a quick rinse to remove dirt before brewing.
Also, "add a gallon and give it a good shake" might be fine advice if you are in the business of breaking your back or are using smaller equipment but myself and many other homebrewers do tend to believe that when lifting can be avoided it should.
While I may fill a fermenter with a solution to clean it, I do save it and use it later as stated.
Thanks for reading!

I just purchased a water pump from Harbor Freight and used that to make a closed-loop wort chiller and used it for the first time last week. I took my largest cooler and packed it with several ice packs you get when you order from Blue Apron (I saved a dozen or so of these; you get 2 large ice packs per shipment), and then filled all the way up with water. I made the mistake of letting the first few gallons of hot recirculated water back into the cooler before I let the hose drain outside into my yard. This water made its way down to water my muscadine and concord grape plants. After the water stopped being overly hot, I put the hose end back into the cooler.
This still took longer than I wanted (almost 40 minutes). Next time I'll try to add ice to the water as well to cool it even more, and I might also use my utility sink instead of my cooler as it can hold much more water. I have a feeling that I was trying to use too little water.
Regarding sanitizing and cleaning - I've always only sprayed Star San on my stuff after I cleaned it. I never let solids dry up or solidify on my equipment anyway, so cleaning, and therefore sanitizing, is always quick and easy. I just bought my second bottle of Star San this past weekend. I bought the other bottle 4 years ago.

I guess my point was more towards the fact that your article is geared to reducing water usage, yet you say there's no way around filling up your equipment to the top for "full volume soaks". If you really want to conserve water, you can easily eliminate almost 40 gallons of wasted water by altering the methods you describe.
I don't think it should matter who writes the article - if the goal is to reduce something as much as possible, one would expect all shortcuts to be taken (those that do not pose risk). I was simply pointing out that your methods of "saving water" sound more like an added waste of water to me.

I disagree. After letting it sit and cool off I end up with completely clear wort. I then transfer it to my fermenter through a siphon to avoid the junk that has settled and to aid in aerating it before adding my yeast

I have an immersion chiller, when I chill I first hook it up to a hose and collect the water in a bucket for cleaning, once that is full the water goes into the fermenter for sanitizing. After those are full my wort is usually down to ~100F so I hook up a submersible pump in a small cooler filled with frozen water bottles. I run the chilled water through the coil and back into the cooler and that drops it down from 100F to pitching temp. The couple of gallons in the cooler can then be used for clean-up. This way all water is reused and I don't really consider it wasted!

I mentioned my method in detail above, but I also use a closed loop cooler. I keep old water bottles in the freezer and drop those into the water with my submersible pump and it my chilling water nice a cold. Once I'm done, the ice is melted but I just put them back in the freezer and pull them back out again next brew day. The bottles have been through at least a dozen brews and I haven't had to refill them yet.

Saving the cooling water. What a brilliant idea, I brew large batches and use lots of water in Texas. But I could reduce that by simply re routing the cooling water into my Mash Tun. I use the same water to clean the Mash Tun as I do the Brew Kettle and the rest of my system. I never thought about using the cooling water. Great idea.

One Step is a sanitizer. They no longer market it as such in the US because they would have to get it certified in each state, but it does sanitize after about three minutes soaking.

My wort chiller is attached to a sink faucet. The first hot water is collected in a 3 gal bucket with some Dawn added. It's used for cleaning up later. After the brew is chilled I leave the chiller hooked up and run hot water through it for spraying/cleaning in the sink. Basically, it washes itself. Whenever I make up a batch of StarSan it's usually 5 gallons in a primary bucket. I also fill up a spray bottle from the new batch. ; ' )

Latest posts

Back