Double IPA Washington Wheat IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKelly

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
Nah
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Nah
Tasting Notes
A pleasant citrus nose where the Citra hops accent the wheat quite nicely.
Fermentables:
4 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat
1 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose

Steeping Grains - Steep for 30 minutes at 155*F
0.5 lb - White Wheat
0.5 lb - Caramel / Crystal 15L
0.5 lb - Carapils

Hops:
1.25 oz - Columbus (60 min)
1 oz - Citra (30 min)
1 oz - Centennial (20 min)
1 oz - Cascade (10 min)
1.25 oz - Citra (5 min)
1.25 oz - Citra (Flameout)
1.5 oz - Citra (Dry Hop)
1 oz - Simcoe (Dry Hop)

Other Ingredients:
1 tsp - Irish Moss (10 min)

Yeast:
Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

This is the first recipe I developed on my own and I am quite pleased with the results. I added the majority of the extract at flameout to avoid that caramelized extract flavor. It worked. However, I did add one pound of extract per gallon at the start of the boil. With a ~2.5 gallon boil, add 2.5 lbs of extract at the start. I boiled the pound of corn sugar in 3 cups of water and added it to the boil with 10 minutes remaining.

Primary fermentation was held at 68*F for 14 days. I then cold crashed at 40*F for 2 days and transferred to secondary. I allowed it to come back to room temp and then added the Dry Hops directly to the beer. I let it sit at 68*F for 7 days then cold crashed again at 40*F to get all the hop waste out of suspension. I primed with ~0.65 cups of corn sugar and was able to get 8 22 oz bottles and 31 12 oz bottles.

I just cracked one open tonight after a measly 4 days of conditioning. While it is rather under-carbed, it tastes awesome. It is without question the best homebrew I've made thus far. I'll post a picture once it's fully carbed to capture what I hope will be a nice head. Cheers!

Well, as promised (albeit months ago), here is a picture of the beer. Definitely hazy, and not quite as light in color as I was hoping, but the head is great and the taste is terrific! Also pictured is the label I designed. Go Spokane!

Instawheat.jpg

Back