Oatmeal Stout WARIOs beer, Wood Aged Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001 Cal Ale
Yeast Starter
Absolutely. I did a 4L starter, may have been an overshoot though.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
90 min
IBU
Color
50+ deg L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days, 70 degrees F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days, in American Whiskey Barrel, ambient room temperature
Additional Fermentation
Sat for 6 months in keg after evacuated from barrel
Tasting Notes
Wonderful beer. Easily the richest bourbon barrel homebrew I have ever tasted.
Fermentables and Mash
  • 25 pounds 2 row
  • 4 pounds flaked oats
  • 3 pounds pale chocolate
  • 2 pounds crystal 120
  • 2 lbs Simpson's golden naked oats
  • 1 pound black roasted barley
  • 1 pound chocolate 350

Mashed at 150 degrees f, with no mashout

You will need at least a 15.5 gallon tun to run this mash as normal. if your tun is too small, you could conceivably steep some of the specialty grains after lautering to cut back on the space. Not something I have tried, but a thought we had when the tun was full to the brim.

Boil
12.5 Gallons, 1.073 preboil gravity
  • 90 minutes- 3 ounces Belma, pellet, 10.6% AA
  • Flameout- 4 Oz Sonnet Golding

---

So you got a whiskey barrel, now what?

This beer was the first phase of a 5 gallon balcones blue corn whiskey barrel. The intent was to make a rich, tending slightly sweet imperial stout to let golden naked oats shine for the unique ingredient they are. We thought the whiskey flavor would best be "foiled" this way. The barrel ended up imparting more of a slight wood flavor than true whiskey, which was surprising but good.

Our barrel prep involved heating enough water to fill at 180 degrees f, after 30 minutes we drained, swished some preboiled and cooled water and racked wort directly to the barrel as a primary fermentor.

In retrospect, this led to a lot of the whiskey aromatics being washed away and blown out of the beer. I think we would have done things differently had we known but I am still very proud of this beer every time I serve one or take a sip. The wood flavor is present but restrained. The fermentation profile listed in the heading of this post is how I'll brew this beer in the future.

W ood
A ged
R ussian
I mperial
O atmeal

Stout

If you were to do this again would you ferment in primary vessel then transfer into the barrel? I just picked up one of these barrels and need to brew something for it. This seems pretty great to start with.

Back