Veteran brewer, newbie poster from VA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CastleHollow

Reaction score
Greetings all! After setting up an account in 2010, I finally decided to go ahead and make my first post!

Started brewing in 1993 while living in Charleston, SC, after a friend of mine had me sample a "new" Sam Adams brew--a homebrew that he had bottled in a Sam Adams Lager bottle. At the time, it was the tastiest beer I ever had and, growing up under the shadow of the Anheuser-Busch plant in Williamsburg, I never knew that a common man could brew such tasty beer. As a result of that first bottle, I invested in my own equipment and never looked back!

Over the years, I've brewed hundreds of batches, entered dozens of competitions (even placing well in a few,) drank & gave away gallons of beer, got a number of folks hooked on brewing (including my own son,) brewed up a few specially commissioned batches (including by my own boss for his daughter's wedding,) and have found my passion in this hobby.

Looking forward to contributing here, learning more, improving my brews, and meeting cool folks. Thanks for having me!

Gerard
Midlothian, VA

Greetings all! After setting up an account in 2010, I finally decided to go ahead and make my first post!

Started brewing in 1993 while living in Charleston, SC, after a friend of mine had me sample a "new" Sam Adams brew--a homebrew that he had bottled in a Sam Adams Lager bottle. At the time, it was the tastiest beer I ever had and, growing up under the shadow of the Anheuser-Busch plant in Williamsburg, I never knew that a common man could brew such tasty beer. As a result of that first bottle, I invested in my own equipment and never looked back!

Over the years, I've brewed hundreds of batches, entered dozens of competitions (even placing well in a few,) drank & gave away gallons of beer, got a number of folks hooked on brewing (including my own son,) brewed up a few specially commissioned batches (including by my own boss for his daughter's wedding,) and have found my passion in this hobby.

Looking forward to contributing here, learning more, improving my brews, and meeting cool folks. Thanks for having me!

Gerard
Midlothian, VA

Holy cow Gerard! You've had an impressive brewing history. Truly glad to have you here.

What type of beers do you usually make? All the styles, or would you consider one style your favorite (what's your house brew)?

Are you an extract or all-grain brewer?

Holy cow Gerard! You've had an impressive brewing history. Truly glad to have you here.

What type of beers do you usually make? All the styles, or would you consider one style your favorite (what's your house brew)?

Are you an extract or all-grain brewer?

Until recently, I was exclusively an ale-brewer--mostly pale ales, bitters & porters--but thanks to a recent Craigslist purchase of a freezer, I'll be trying my hand at lagering. House recipe is an IPA that I will modify with a different hop schedule or yeast strain from batch to batch. Most of my brew sessions are partial mash, especially when I brew up a IIPA, although I enjoy all-grain when I can dedicate the time.

Thanks for the welcome!

We started about the same time. Unfortunately, a brewing accident followed by being a road warrior, ended my brewing until last year. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

Back