SweetTarts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
I was looking at the back of a box of SweetTarts and the ingredients are dextrose, maltodextrin, malic acid and calcium stearate. Anyone ever tried using them in a beer recipe? (flavor addition, abv booster and possible sour effect?)

I see lots of views on your post but no replies. I'm only commenting as a suggestion to doing a small batch and try it out. Perhaps even adding some to a small sample before fermentation is complete on a larger batch.

Personally I wouldn't but who knows you might have a winner recipe. Great thought though, wish I had more to offer.

1712762821362.png

this was another drain pour from the local craft beer store. so i would think twice.

Malic acid will make your beer tarter or give it a more sour taste which is sometimes desirable. But it might also impart a green apple taste which I wouldn't like in a beer.

Never hurts to experiment though. Let us know what results you get. I'd be interested if any of the flavors in Sweet Tarts could be detected or did they just make for a pleasant sour taste.

Don't listen to these guys. They all gave me the same nay say as they are you about my ideas for Twinkie beer, Dr. Pepper ale, Abba Zabba stout, & Spaghetti O's brown. Were they right? Of course they were. Those beers were all disgusting! But that didn't stop me from not listening!
Abba Zabba?

I was looking at the back of a box of SweetTarts and the ingredients are dextrose, maltodextrin, malic acid and calcium stearate. Anyone ever tried using them in a beer recipe? (flavor addition, abv booster and possible sour effect?)
I've tried a bunch of different candies. I have not found a single one I liked post fermentation.

Latest posts

Back