SS Brewtech Chronical issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejf063

Reaction score
greetings....for Christmas I recieved a 7 gallon chronical bme fermenter. I cleaned the equipment with TSP per instructions. I put everything together for a leak test. Despite my greatest efforts, I can not seem to properly seal the sample port. It leaks from under the port.... not the port itself, rather the weldless fitting.
Also, the jacket that came with it is off centered at the sample port as well, as noted in the picture below.
Ss brewtech sent me a new port and jacket, unfortunately they came with the same issues.
I’m wondering if anyone else has had issues with their chronical and/or if some advice could be given in an effort to seal the port.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 9BF35C22-A583-404E-AA02-2846B40166F3.jpeg
    9BF35C22-A583-404E-AA02-2846B40166F3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 172
If 2 jackets are "off", it makes me wonder if the hole wasn't aligned properly on the conical.

How are you sealing the fitting? From the inside out, it should go: nut, conical wall, o-ring, sample valve body. If there's a PTFE washer, it goes between the nut and conical wall. Hand tighten to compress the o-ring, but not so tight you pinch it.

Is the hole otherwise in good shape? Round, no notches, burrs, or dents? I'd ask the same about the port, but if you already got a second...

If 2 jackets are "off", it makes me wonder if the hole wasn't aligned properly on the conical.

How are you sealing the fitting? From the inside out, it should go: nut, conical wall, o-ring, sample valve body. If there's a PTFE washer, it goes between the nut and conical wall. Hand tighten to compress the o-ring, but not so tight you pinch it.

Is the hole otherwise in good shape? Round, no notches, burrs, or dents? I'd ask the same about the port, but if you already got a second...

I wondered the same thing: is the chonical machined wrong.... I sent an email to customer support asking that very question.

I have the valve installed as you say (inside out, nut, wall, o-ring, valve). I have it tightened down, like with a wrench... its tight. The hand tightening didn't come close to sealing.

As far as the hole, it looks nice and smooth, no dents. but when i tighten this down, i get concerned that could maybe bend the metal.

SS has been good at responding, even sending me new stuff, but I dont know what they will do about this issue.

Dont tighten with a wrench. That's so tight it will pinch the o ring and cause leaks. Check your o ring for damage.

I'd suggest taking the neoprene jacket off and doing a leak test without it. I've improperly installed my jacket on my brew bucket before and it caused a leak the the thermowell because the neoprene put sideways pressure on it.

I would second the notion than now your leak is due to cranking it down with a wrench, deforming the o-ring. Before that it may have been too loose also causing a leak. Sideways pressure could have exacerbated the problem.

I would second the notion than now your leak is due to cranking it down with a wrench, deforming the o-ring. Before that it may have been too loose also causing a leak. Sideways pressure could have exacerbated the problem.

Dont tighten with a wrench. That's so tight it will pinch the o ring and cause leaks. Check your o ring for damage.

I'd suggest taking the neoprene jacket off and doing a leak test without it. I've improperly installed my jacket on my brew bucket before and it caused a leak the the thermowell because the neoprene put sideways pressure on it.

So you guys are saying there's a sweet spot here.... Not too tight (like with a wrench) yet not too loose when hand tightening. I did take off the jacket, and hand tightened it.... The port could still rotate, as it was only hand tight, but no leaks.
I put the jacket on, (which required me to take the port off then reinstall) and it was moist. A little more fudging and I think I got it? It will be hard to use the temp controller without the insulated jacket, so I hope I have the problem solved.

Has anyone else had issues with the off centered jacket though?

Theres absolutely a sweet spot. I imagine it's exactly the same set up as my brew buckets. Its tight enough to not leak, and that's tight enough. I install mine so that the dip tube points up. As I transfer to keg, I rotate it clockwise to rotate the dip tube lower. Never rotate it counterclockwise, as that loosens the connection. You should be able to get a good full rotation of clockwise movement and still have a seal.

I also dont use my neoprene jackets at all. I use the ftss systrm and cold crash down to 35 for 2 days or more. Neoprene doesnt help that much. It's very stretchy, so you should be able to install it after installing the ports.

It sounds like your jacket is causing the leak... which I've personally seen before (thus why I dont use mine)

The tightness is definitely a bit of an art until you "dial it in" after practice. If it helps, a paper towel will show a leak much better than the neoprene. Torqueing even a properly installed fitting (e.g. lateral force from bad alignment between the hole on the conical and the jacket) could probably cause a slight leak.

I have a slightly off-center hole on my unitank jacket but well within a reasonable tolerance. No issues there though since the fitting is welded.

If you dial it in for sure that the jacket is causing the leak, it'd be much easier to just cut the hole on the neoprene a little bit to match up with the port, rather than shipping the entire unit back.

Either that, or just sell the thing to me. I'd be glad to upgrade to a chronical from a brew bucket.

Theres absolutely a sweet spot. I imagine it's exactly the same set up as my brew buckets. Its tight enough to not leak, and that's tight enough. I install mine so that the dip tube points up. As I transfer to keg, I rotate it clockwise to rotate the dip tube lower. Never rotate it counterclockwise, as that loosens the connection. You should be able to get a good full rotation of clockwise movement and still have a seal.

I also dont use my neoprene jackets at all. I use the ftss systrm and cold crash down to 35 for 2 days or more. Neoprene doesnt help that much. It's very stretchy, so you should be able to install it after installing the ports.

It sounds like your jacket is causing the leak... which I've personally seen before (thus why I dont use mine)

Yeah, I am starting to believe that is the problem. I had the jacket off, hand tightened the spout down and then had no issues. I put the jacket on, had to move the hole around from the jacket to get the port through it and the chronical, hand tightened, and there the leak.

I have a slightly off-center hole on my unitank jacket but well within a reasonable tolerance. No issues there though since the fitting is welded.

Yeah, I considered the paper towel as well. I can definatley feel moister on the jacket and the o-ring. I wish this was a welded fitting....

The tightness is definitely a bit of an art until you "dial it in" after practice. If it helps, a paper towel will show a leak much better than the neoprene. Torqueing even a properly installed fitting (e.g. lateral force from bad alignment between the hole on the conical and the jacket) could probably cause a slight leak.

Hmmm, if you're serious, send me a pm.

Back