Source for 4" TC weldless bulkhead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm betting you're going to come up empty on this. That's a huge hole and unless it was run through a dead flat surface (ie: not a kettle sidewall) it'd be a challenge to seal and prevent rotational movement. The largest diameter I'm seeing is 2"...

Ya, that's what I'm finding as well. Hopefully, something pans out though.

I'm not worried about curvature. The bulkhead is for a flat surface. I have a Spike Brewing TC100 cooling system that I would like to use with another fermenter. The coil is designed to attach to the lid of their conical fermenters via a 4" TC fitting. My "plan" is to outfit the lid of my existing plastic fermenter with a 4" TC fitting so that I can install the coil. But no luck finding the bulkhead TC yet. The closest I can find is 4" ferrule but I would need to figure out a way to attach it to the plastic lid.

Stainlessbrewing makes the coil for spike they make a variety of different sized custom coils. You could order just the coil and drill 2 smaller holes in your fermenter lid then use compression fittings through the fermenter lid.. or if you already have the spike coil you could cut the tubing off just below the triclamp.. just a thought.. you wont find a triclamp bulk head that large.. jaybird from norcal could probably make something but I would expect it to be very $$$$

If a 4" weldless did exist, it would be like $60 due to the huge chunk of raw material and machining time it would take.

Ha! @Bobby_M called it...

https://www.amazon.com/NPT-Adapter-...qid=1554508355&s=merchant-items&sr=1-366&th=1

This is the closest I could find and it's right about $60. I'd need a couple 4" npt nuts and silicone washers to go with it. I'm sure with shipping that'll put it over $80.

I might try to see if I can get something 3d printed instead.

Ha! @Bobby_M called it...

https://www.amazon.com/NPT-Adapter-...qid=1554508355&s=merchant-items&sr=1-366&th=1

This is the closest I could find and it's right about $60. I'd need a couple 4" npt nuts and silicone washers to go with it. I'm sure with shipping that'll put it over $80.

I might try to see if I can get something 3d printed instead.
It's a little cheaper if you go to the source that is selling it on amazon...not sure about shipping though..
https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp-nps-and-npt-adapters-21mp-g400-400.html

This thread has been dead for a while, but I am interested in OP's quest to rig a 4" triclamp to a plastic fermenter lid for temperature control. I have been looking at the BrewBuilt CoolStix Reactor Rod to be integrated with the Spiedel 120L plastic fermenter. If @Nubble, or anyone else, has any insight into this, it would be much appreciated!

On eBay is this. You would have to find an fnpt nut for the bottom and maybe fabricate a plate for the top. I didn't see much in the way of 4" weldless. Maybe have a fab shop modify a welded bulkhead?

Edited to add screen snip because I hate eBay links in old threads that are dead.

Screenshot 2022-03-02 130408.png

Last edited:
On eBay is this. You would have to find an fnpt nut for the bottom and maybe fabricate a plate for the top. I didn't see much in the way of 4" weldless. Maybe have a fab shop modify a welded bulkhead?

Thanks, Hans. I've found the male NPT adapters in a couple of spots, but not much luck in finding a 4" female NPT locknut. I found one that is $68 on Grainger. I guess that would be the going price for that piece of hardware. There are plenty of add-ons for 4" triclovers, but jury rigging one is another issue. Trying to save some money on fermentation equipment, but is looking to be more trouble than it is worth to just get purpose-built fermenters with cooling systems already integrated.

I looked on McMaster Carr a bit too. There's some CPVC stuff on there, but it's expensive stuff for 4"

For not a lot more money you could be closing in on a cheap conical...

I think something like the temp twister coil would be more economical and practical.

That's probably the best solution to the problem I'm trying to solve. Really don't think I need $2k+ fermenters when plastic ones can be rigged to do the same thing. Thanks for your help, everyone!

Latest posts

Back