Belgian Golden Strong Ale Sounds Like Slinkys - Best in Show winner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY3864 (sub WY3787/WLP530)
Yeast Starter
2L for main, 1L for 2nd
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
WLP566
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
mid 1.080s
Final Gravity
below 1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
dunno
Color
4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Free rise from mid 60s for 3-4 weeks
Tasting Notes
Huge bouquet of yeast esters - Peach, Candied Apple, bit of clove, bubblegum, banana
Putting there here to qualify for entering into the March 2016 recipe contest.

This won Best In Show at the first competition I entered. I think there was a bit over a hundred entries, so not a huge competition, but still proud of it. It definitely gets better with age, but the batch that won was only 2.5 months out from bottling. I think the saison yeast really helps it get palatable a lot faster than you'd expect.

This uses Wyeast 3864 Canadian/Belgian (Unibroue). Its a great yeast for belgians and has very nice esters that aren't as appley/peary as Duvel, and not too sweet and plumy as Chimay.

The secret, IMO is the bit of saison yeast. It ensures the FG gets below 1.010 and makes it ridiculously drinkable for a +10%er. I chose WLP566 because it isn't too aggressive in its assertive "saison-esque" qualities (tart, funky, citrus, pepper, etc). To me, it's pretty balanced and has some nice hefe-like clove in the finish which I definitely detect in the final beer.

===============Malts/Sugars=================
Est. 75% mash efficiency
Est. ~88%AA from the saison yeast

9.5lbs Pilsner
3.5lbs Wheat
1.5lbs Flaked Oats
0.375lbs acid malt (for pH, omit if not needed)
2.5lbs honey (added to the fermentor)

I am a fan of adding honey into the fermentor just as high krausen starts to recede. I believe this helps to try and preserve as much aromatics as possible. This also helps out the yeast since it enables them to get started in a lower OG environment.

I haven't had any issue with infections from using honey this way, even from previously opened containers. Note that the 2.5lbs of honey adds about 0.015 gravity points, so your measured pre-pitch OG will be around 1.070 instead.

==================Hops===================
@60min: tiny bittering charge (I just did couple pellets of magnum, you could do 1oz of saaz to be more traditional)
@20min: 1 oz saaz
@0min: 1 oz saaz

==================Process=================
Mash at 148 for 60min
Mashout at 168 for 10min
Boil for 60min (do 90 if you are concerned with DMS, but adjust your water volume)
Chill, pitch yeast in the mid 60s
Let free rise, wrap the fermentor in a warm blanket or winter jacket to help it get to the low 80s
*add the honey straight into the fermentor after ~48hrs of activity*
ferment 3-4 weeks -> bottle carbed to 2.8ish VolCO2. I wouldn't recommend kegging this beer. They age great in the bottle

Last edited by a moderator:
Back