Slow bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gezgin

Reaction score
Hi. I built a Brewferm Kriek kit 3 days ago 12L
Bubbling is too slow for this past 3 days.

OG is 1.056 which is OK according to instructions
3 days later it was 1.010

1- Is this gravity drop happened in 3 days normal ?

2-By just looking at gravity, I'd say fermentation is good. However I see little activity on airlock. Also I did not see any wild bubbling in first 3 days. Could there be any fermentation problem ?
Bubbles once in every 10 secs or so. When I opened the bucket, I saw circular foam ring only but there is no big foam on top.

I followed the instructions mostly with no major problem. Wort was 29 C when I added the yeast. Rehydrated yeast at room temp however.
I cooled the wort to 25C now it stays that way. I cool it constantly.
Only small problem was I filled it to 11 L not 12 L. 1 L water missing but i dont think it'd be a big problem

I thought of these solutions if there is a slow fermentation problem.
1-Stirring wort gently
2-Adding sugar (directly or boiled?)
3-Adding yeast
Or shoud I do nothing and wait for recommended 10 days before transferring it into another container?

Do nothing. Airlock activity doesn't always reflect fermentation activity. You dropped 46 points in 3 days, so fermentation is not slow. And unless you are adding something or aging, there is no need to transfer it. I'd leave it for 10 days, check gravity, check again at 14 days and if it's the same, package it.

The bubbling went wild while you were sleeping... it happens. 🍻 Good that you’ve checked the gravity, that is the best way to know how your fermentation is progressing and when it is finished.

Before adding the yeast into wort, I put the dry yeast into glass of water with little water to hydrate it. I stirred it. However i did not cover the glass top. It was open to air like 15-20 mins. Did Exposing to air spoiled or killed the yeast. What are the consequences of not covering yeast water mix. My bubbling has stopped and i am madly thinking maybe it ıs connected to this

Before adding the yeast into wort, I put the dry yeast into glass of water with little water to hydrate it. I stirred it. However i did not cover the glass top. It was open to air like 15-20 mins. Did Exposing to air spoiled or killed the yeast. What are the consequences of not covering yeast water mix. My bubbling has stopped and i am madly thinking maybe it ıs connected to this
Your fine. Like I said, airlock bubbling isn't always a reflection of what is going on. Just because it stopped doesn't mean nothing is going on. Or it means the beer is close to being done. You went from 1.056 to 1.010 in 3 days. You have very healthy fermentation and most likely, the bubbling stopping is because it's almost done. Relax, don't worry and have a homebrew.

Exposure to air will not kill yeast. Many of us intentionally aerate our wort as a best practice.

It is possible to gather unwanted microbes if left uncovered, but it's unlikely to affect your fermentation. You did nothing wrong that I can see.

Back