Searching for feedback - NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Baker

Reaction score
Hi!

So I am not a huge fan of the NEIPA - but my friends are. As they are the main consumer of my beer, I wanted to entertain them and give it a shot. From my research, I've come up with this recipe. Before I invest hours and $20 in hops and another $10 in yeast, I wondered if one or more of you might give me some feedback:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 65.5 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 14.5 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.3 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 7.3 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.6 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.8 %

0.80 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 35.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 11.5 IBUs
3.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Burlington Ale
2.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Also, here is my adjusted water profile:

upload_2019-8-16_15-32-29.png

Thanks for the feedback ahead of time!

You can get rid of the Vienna if you’d like and just up your base malt. Won’t really come through much over the hops and I’d switch the c60 for honey malt at the same amount but that’s a personal choice for color purposes and a less sweetness. I’d also combine your dryhop all as one on with 3 days left.

Side note minimize any possibility for o2 contact after fermentation

Last edited:
Agree to reduce the dry hop to 3 days and combine them, possibly in separate mesh canisters or whatever u need to do to not lose too much beer...
I like the grain bill a lot, but agree that c60 may color it too much and doing two base malts in IPAs is over the top.
the cara pils may be too much also since the wheat will give plenty of head retention...makes sense what Dgallo said, switch to either honey malt or my preference in IPA styles is C20.
Burlington ale is a good choice I've heard but i haven't used it in a NEIPA

What is the BU/GU ratio?
Why did you choose that Cl/so4 ratio?

Agree to reduce the dry hop to 3 days and combine them, possibly in separate mesh canisters or whatever u need to do to not lose too much beer...
I like the grain bill a lot, but agree that c60 may color it too much and doing two base malts in IPAs is over the top.
the cara pils may be too much also since the wheat will give plenty of head retention...makes sense what Dgallo said, switch to either honey malt or my preference in IPA styles is C20.
Burlington ale is a good choice I've heard but i haven't used it in a NEIPA

What is the BU/GU ratio?
Why did you choose that Cl/so4 ratio?

Bu/gu=.72

I saw some threads about doing 1:1 and some saying 2:1 cl:so4 so I split the difference

Last edited:
Agreed with the braufessor recipe...done that one and it's excellent....better than many commercial examples I've had...

Ditch the crystal and cara pils.
Why would he ditch the dextrin Cara pils? Body building grain for a style that should have a minimum of 20% body building grains (pils, wheat, oats, chit, flaked barley, foam, hells)

Back