American Pale Ale Ryan's 76 (Sam 76 clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wlp001
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days 64f
Tasting Notes
This is Sam 76 all over. Extremely Iight/dry/lager crisp/Imagine a new school take on an old school lawnmower beer
For those that love Sam 76 this is essentially it. Only thing I want to try next time is adding equal parts Citra (whirlpool and dry hop) to the recipe. This is the second time this has been brewed and this is extremely crushable. Imagine a new school take on an old school mower beer. For the water I used RO water. Key is to mash LOW! I left this in primary for 2 weeks at 64f. I bumped up the fermentation chamber temp to 68f (via bumping up to 66f for 24 hours then 68f) as the krausen started to drop. I popped this in a secondary fermenter and dry hopped for 5 days. Now the key to cleaning this up is "lagering" the beer. So yes you brewed an ale but after 5 days of dry hopping I dropped my ferment chamber temp down to 30f (no fining agents and let that ride for 7 days. I carbed this to 2.5 volumes using table sugar (would not recommend corn sugar as table is MUCH cleaner/ferments much faster in my experience)

ENJOY!

All Grain
Style Name: American Lager
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 4.69%
IBU (tinseth): 14.84
SRM (morey): 3.14

FERMENTABLES:
7.5 lb - Pilsner (88.2%)
1 lb - White Wheat (11.8%)

HOPS:
0.1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 5.83
0.4 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 2.55
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 6.47
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 147 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 2.5 gal
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Amount: 5.54 gal

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 68 - 73 F
Fermentation Temp: 62 F
Pitch Rate: 2.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
CO2 Level: 2.5 Volumes

Water Notes:

All minerals were added to the mash

2 Grams Gypsum
1 Gram Epsom Salt
1 Gram Pickling Salt
5 Grams Calcium Chloride

Added lactic acid to the mash to hit a mash pH of 5.2

-44.2 RA ppm

Attachments

• 20191210_200702.jpg
    20191210_200702.jpg
    883.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Looks to be missing the Citra and Cascade.

Yep. I brewed that with all four previously and it was a tad limey due to the Cascade. I also used a kolsch yeast and fermented around 55f. The lime from the Cascade and slight ester from the kolsch yeast did not pair well with this brew imo. Both times I've tasted the real Sam 76 it's been heavy either on Mosaic or Simcoe (depending on the batch). Had a BJCP judge give er the old taste test and they tasted the same. So we guess that they have all four hops up there for cya purposes. After speaking with a master brewer some breweries have been known to put a smorgasboard of hops on the hop list. It's there mainly due to supply and demand. Meaning if the brewery doesn't have that exact hop chances are they'll sub in something else. With that said I personally would not add Cascade back to this brew period. However I am curious to see how Citra may pair. If anything it could even use a kiss more of Mosaic.

Edit: When I brew this again I would up the Whirlpool Mosaic addition to 1 oz

Last edited:
Well I took this out for taste testing at a few parades this weekend and got a resounding "Damn that's good! You brewed this? I want another stat!" from multiple peeps ;)

Looks like a winner. Did you use any finings in the boil? Would you add the Citra at a rate of 1oz whirlpool and dry hop in addition to the above simcoe, mosaic additions?

Looks like a winner. Did you use any finings in the boil? Would you add the Citra at a rate of 1oz whirlpool and dry hop in addition to the above simcoe, mosaic additions?

I used whirlfloc at 10 minutes and added 2 grams yeast nutrient at 10 minutes. Next time what I'm going to try is bumping up the mosaic so it's a 1 oz addition during whirlpool. That way outside of the FWH it's all 50/50 additions of Mosaic/Simcoe. Still curious to see how Citra would fit in there. If I did add Citra then I'd do equal parts Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe and keep the Whirlpool and Dry Hop additions 2 oz total.

I brewed my “version” of Sam 76 before checking out this thread. Love the beer and I looked up the ingredients listed on the SA site. For some reason I decided to try it as an extract beer to see if I could brew a easy tasty beer in under 2 hours. Used wheat extract, cascade at 30 minutes boil and then simcoe, mosaic, citra at 3 minutes. Actually fermented with 34/70 @ 65 degrees to get that “lager” character. Turned out real nice! Haven’t compared it against the real deal but based on all the Sam 76 I’ve drank I’m pretty happy with it enough so that I haven’t bought any recently.

Ryan I like your idea of more Pilsner malt and less wheat. Will try that next time!

Cheers!
IMG_2530.JPG

I rebrewed this using a small bittering charge (fwh Mosaic) and whirlpooled with Simcoe, Citra, Cascade, Mosaic. Fermented with w34/70 at 66F. The other change was I went 95% pilsner 5% carapils and it turned out spot on malt wise. Hop wise their product is always changing so it's tough to match. The earlier runs were very Mosaic heavy...Then they went on a Simcoe heavy kick. Not sure what they are now though. Anywho if you use .25 oz each of Simcoe, Citra, Cascade, Mosaic in the Whirlpool it tastes like you're biting into a nice bitter orange. It'll be dry hopped somewhere in the 2-3 oz range total (all equal parts hops).

And I've nailed this pretty much :) Ended up using the hop bill from the Sam Adams site. The malt bill was 95% pils and 5% carapils (instead of wheat). So yeah if you're looking for as close are you're going to get here ya go

Title: Ryan's 76

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Lager
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.25 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.037
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.006
ABV (standard): 4.73%
IBU (tinseth): 12.99
SRM (morey): 2.84
Mash pH: 5.4

FERMENTABLES:
8.3 lb - Pilsner (94.3%)
0.5 lb - Carapils Malt (5.7%)

HOPS:
0.15 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 7.99
0.25 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 1.45
0.25 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 1.47
0.25 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 1.27
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 0.81
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
0.75 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
0.75 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 147 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 3.3 gal
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 4.69 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

Now I used Reverse Osmosis water and made the following adjustments

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
5 g - Calcium Chloride (dihydrate), Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
1 g - Epsom Salt, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
2 g - Gypsum, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
1 g - Salt, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
2.58 ml - Lactic acid, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Saflager - German Lager Yeast W-34/70
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 83%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 48 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 66 F
Pitch Rate: 2.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Yes the water amount is off. The reason is I made a 2 Liter starter with w34/70 and extra light DME. I pitched the full starter in the carboy and adjusted the hops/ibus above to make up for it. Anywho this is it and it's only a 5 calorie difference from the real thing. Sam 76 has 131 Calories and this has 135.9. Yes this will be hazy due to the whirlpool/dry hopping and no it does not clear easy with gelatin. It does however taste identical to the real thing! So for those looking for a clone as close as you're going to get here ya go! Brew it and let me know what you think!

This is on my radar to try this summer.

Why the switch from wheat to carapils?
Any benefit to swapping out another 8 oz of pilsner for white wheat? Maybe to bring a little haze and hint of that wheat bite to the party?

I'm kicking around the idea of using Lutra on this and fermenting around 72.

This is on my radar to try this summer.

Why the switch from wheat to carapils?
Any benefit to swapping out another 8 oz of pilsner for white wheat? Maybe to bring a little haze and hint of that wheat bite to the party?

I'm kicking around the idea of using Lutra on this and fermenting around 72.

From my current experience with Lutra I wouldn't recommend it. I'd recommend w34/70 fermented low 60's in a temperature controlled environment. This needs something really clean and Lutra just isn't it. If this had a bit more hop punch then I'd say go for it. In this brew you're looking for something that's not yeast centric at all. You really want the yeast completely out of the way. I feel Lutra is much better suited for a Kolsch. I brewed the Omega Lutra Helles and let others try it at a recent get together. First thing right out of the gate was yeah there's something there. It's a musky grape like flavor in the background. Now between the two yeasts wlp001 and w34/70 I'll say 34/70 was was much more crisp and a tad drier. I liked it a bit better. Now in regards to the wheat I was just playing around with head retention. Honestly I don't think 5% wheat or 5% carapils is going to make too much difference. I would just use which one that you already have on hand (or is cheaper from the homebrew store). Let me know how it turns out!

I was thinking Lutra because I won't have access to my ferm chamber (its going to be dedicated to getting some Oktoberfest brews in progress) and because I just used it for a mexican vienna psuedolager that came out pretty good fermenting at 72 F.

I don't think I've done a "warm fermented lager" so maybe this is my chance to do 34/70 at 68 F and see how it comes out.

Good to know about the grist selection ... I didn't know if this was one of those times where it mattered or not.

It will be about 2 weeks until I brew this ... I'll post an update a few weeks after that.

Hi, thank you for the recipe. I plan on brewing this beer this weekend, but I have a question about the hop additions. When you say "Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F" does that mean after sparging, i.e. while I am bringing the wort up to boil temperature?

Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F = After the boil, chill the wort slightly (down to below 180 but above 160), add hop addition and stir occasionally for 15 min. After that continue chilling.

I've actually had just as much luck cutting the heat, adding the hops, and stirring up the wort a few times over the course of 15 minutes. After that chill down to pitching temps. You're welcome! It's a crowd pleaser for sure!

I brewed this one again, but without dry hopping because I am squeamish about contamination (even though after 5 days there should be plenty of alcohol).

It came out really nice, but certainly less flavorful due to missing out on all the dry hop flavor addition.

I think I will try it again and increase the hops done at the end (cut heat and whirlpool part) to get some more flavor.

Latest posts

Back